Sign in to follow this  
wdcisco

Need a license to sell & apply vinyl?

Was wondering if a license was necessary to sell and apply vinyl for a customer? I'm in Oregon.

Thanks for your help!

Hi!

It depends on local ordinances. If you're in a city, etc. they will each have their own rules.  Most require a city business license to operate as a professional business.  If you're doing it as a hobby, most don't care.  If you're just getting started  in your home, I say don't worry about it .  If you"re going to be in a business location and/or advertise extensively, then you need to jump thru all their hoops.

Here in Great Falls it's not a big deal anyway. They just want our license application fees.

Usually, even if you get "busted" for operating a business without a license, they just tell you to get a license.

So basically it depends on what you're doing.

Like 2Guys said tho, get your sales tax id's as soon as possible - state, county, city, whatever.  They wont be as forgiving.

I ran into a problem a while back with another business I own. Had an out of state account pay me by company check - made payable to my company name. Unfortunately, I didn't have a company checking acct. Had been using paypal for most of my business expenses. My bank would not cash the check or allow me to deposit it into my personal account until I went to the city hall and paid for an occupational license and a "DBA" (doing business as) - sometimes referred to as an Assumed Name Certificate. Then the bank permitted me to deposit the check into my own account.

Charlie

or like in Morgan County , Tn ...no local business license available . Alot of advantages to having an address there  :huh: .

Rodger, how close is Weston, WV to Beckley? I lived an hour west of Beckley for a few years.

Beautiful country, but too damn cold. I'm a southern boy. LOL

Charlie

It is about 100 miles north on Rt # 79 ( exit # 99 which is 99 miles from Charleton ) .

I go to a Mini Horse sale in Summerville , owned by Grady Whitlock . he has Ford Dealerships , Real Estate offices etc in Beckley along with a regular size horse auction . Very pretty country , I get free natural gas & when I bought the 165 acres ( $97 K , the property tax was only $200 per year . Seems like always a compromise , cold or bugs . i camped out in Savana , Georgia when I was roadracing motorcycles & the bugs nearly carried what they didn't eat away . HOT summer time & I had to zip the sleeping blanket up . I should have taken a tent ... :huh:

I used to love to tent camp - then I got old. Now I RV camp. Gotta love having a fridge, air conditioning (or heat), coffee pot and microwave when camping. LOL! And no need to worry about leaks if it rains.

Charlie

(BTW - you have mail)