alhjc6

CorelTrace

I was looking at getting Corel X4.  The description mentions CorelTrace.  Has anyone used this?  I can use Inkscape pretty good to make vectors, but I am looking for a better tool.  Is CorelTrace that better tool?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

I still use Corel 12 with Trace...It works great, but with any program, it all depends on the original graphic quality! If you are familiar with Corel, it's definitely worth stepping up to. Trace is a CorelDraw plug-in, so click a button in Draw, it opens Trace, perform the trace to your liking and close Trace, it then drops it back into Draw...

Corel Trace works MUCH better in X4 now that they have fixed it. Sometimes I get better results with tracing in Inkscape, just depends on the graphic.

Hmm, I couldn't get trace to work on my Corel 12 at all

I'd love to get X4, but I use a few different PC's...Only one has XP  :-

Mine works no problem in 12...I even use R.A.V.E, Corel's animation program.

FBomb when you are ready for x4 you can get it on Ebay for $80. I finally got tired of fighting 12, for me, X4 is working much better. My 12 was an eduational version so that may have something to do with trace not working?? I really like that program but have a lot more to learn

Corel X4 traces most of my work nicely. It is easy to fine tune the image.

IMHO however, Adobe Illustrator C3 is the best at finding the little gaps in the artwork that give us our gray hairs and failed cuts.

Thors,

Sure let's give it a try and see what happens... I won't be able to get to it until later this week, maybe Friday. They say the auto trace is suppose to be better in x4. I haven't used x3 before. Now, just so I understand, you want to use the image on he link, correct? No clean up? No using the slider to adjust detail, smoothness of the image, just full auto?

Let me know I'll check back later tonight.

Peabody

I have done traces in Illustrator CS3, CorelDraw X4 and Inkscape.  To be honest, I like the results of Inkscape the best (and it's free)!

I opened it up in corel photopaint.  Change the image to Greyscale, then to Black and white,(playing with the threshold a bit) then inverted the image.  Pretty good results if you ask me.

hm.EPS

hm.EPS

you didn't adjust the values, but I BET you WANTED to!!  HAr Har!  It's like those old games of "trust" between friends..  oH well,, I too, am not impressed  You'd make a poor Corel salesman!

Yep, my hand was shaking trying to resist adjusting the sliders  :rolleyes: You're right - no salesman here, just too honest.  :D that gets me in more trouble than anything else, I need to learn to keep my mouth shut  :D

I think the one you cleaned up came out much better.

23putts had the right idea, put it in photopaint first or was that against the rules  :D