sandman

How to delete part of a rectangle

Any way to delete part or parts of a rectangle? When I try to select part of a rectangle and delete it the whole rectangle goes away. I've also had problems with trying to delete parts of othre shapes and they close the path along the deleted area.

Theres a couple different ways to do it. If you want to `freehand` the part you want cut out, you use the `knife tool`. Its located in the flyout menu under the eraser tool (just click and hold the eraser and then select the knife tool). Then you make a cut on the path. After you cut it, use the selection tool to select the piece you want out, and hit delete.

Or if you have a certain shape that you want removed from the object, select the shape that you want to use as your `cut shape` and send it to the BACK (object/arrange/send to back) then select BOTH objects and look in the pathfinder menu, and choose the last button on the bottom (subtract from) and it will cut the back object out of the front one.

Didn't have much luck with either of these methods but thanks for the reply. I found a path eraser under the pencil tool that seems to work. You'd think the erasing and drawing functions would be separate.

Programs I've used in the past I could select any portion of a shape or object and just hit delete without deleting or redrawing anything else.

Place the second image (the shape you want cut out of the rectangle) where you want it on top of the rectangle...Select both objects and go to Window=> Pathfinder (or "shift + F9" shortcut) and then click the "trim" button.

Place the second image (the shape you want cut out of the rectangle) where you want it on top of the rectangle...Select both objects and go to Window=> Pathfinder (or "shift + F9" shortcut) and then click the "trim" button.

That is probably the fastest and easiest method.  You can also use the direct selection arrow and remove points, but if it is a true rectangle (4 points only), you will also have to add points along the path.