Sign in to follow this  
marcsby

Someone please tell me what I have?

I am sorta new at this vinyl cutting business, but in not. I actually bought my cutter about 4 or 5 years ago to make general lettering for my small used car business. I learned some of the basics and started cutting. This winter I started really learning my cutting program.  The more I learn, the more I really enjoy it. I have a LYNX 60 cutter w/ LXI 6.6 v1 software from sign warehouse.To me the cutter and software do a great job but its all Ive known. My computer is several years old.( Windows Me) I am in the next few months going to buy me a new or fairly new laptop.  I am trying to scale back my car business and slowly start my vinyl business. I need input about my cutter and software. Also what problems I might have going to a new computer. I need honesty, good or bad. I also have problems opening some eps or ai that Ive bought( some open, some don't). Is there another way to open? Any input greatly appreciated.           

adobe illustrator will open almost any graphics file when others won't. i am constantly opening and re saving files through illy, to make them more compatible with signblazer. since your software is older, i would recommend getting win xp for your new os. people seem to have a lot of trouble with vista. hope this helps

bb

Your new laptop most likely will NOT have a serial port. Does your cutter have a USB port?

Your new laptop most likely will NOT have a serial port. Does your cutter have a USB port?

I don't think I would buy one without a serial port if I was going to run my cutter from it. You may not have the same trouble with your Linx, they seem to be well made machines.

you can get any laptop you want just get a usb to serial cable. it makes lift alot better actual great.

you can get any laptop you want just get a usb to serial cable. it makes lift alot better actual great.

if you get a keyspan adapter, be sure to use it at your computer with a serial cable. rather than at your plotter with a usb cable.

bb

if you get a keyspan adapter, be sure to use it at your computer with a serial cable. rather than at your plotter with a usb cable.

bb

we got ours from a website for 5.99 and it was just a usb to serial cable. we have not had any problems. we were looking at a keyspan adapter but found out that we did not need it just put your laptop closer to the cutter. here is the one like what we have: http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-TO-RS232-SERIAL-DB9-9-PIN-CABLE-ADAPTER-GPS-PDA_W0QQitemZ270279383320QQihZ017QQcategoryZ41995QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem