ffr2370

Should I get a 25" or 50" - what are the pros and cons of each?

I would probably do mostly small logos with intricate graphics to put on race cars, so the small size cut quality is important.  But I have the physical room in my workshop so maybe the larger cutter would be a better investment in case I get a chance to do larger full body panel designs.  Is there anything I should consider concerning cutter size, would a smaller machine be more accurate in detail than a larger machine?

Thanks,

Mark

The larger machines should be just as accurate as the smaller machines.  If you forsee cutting anything larger than 25" in the future, you should probably get a 50" cutter.

Good question - I was at a printer a few years ago and their program allowed them to do half an image (text letters actually) and then go back and do the other half.

What they ended up with was a sheet with the top 24" of 48" letters - and then lined up the bottom 24" and had a full 48" word when they were through - is that something we can do on these plotter/cutters?

Mike

You can split designs with the cutters.But I think if I planned on doing a lot of business that involved designs over 24",I would go ahead and buy a 50".I have seen the same thing with the split designs and it looks good.But people who work with graphics will notice the seams in the design before they see the entire design.And I guess that would apply to the customers who like to nitt-pick as well.With a 50"you can do a seamless 48" and anything smaller.I considered that option when I bought R2,but as much as I wanted a 50",my bank account was screaming 25"!

Ive never cut anything over 24 inches... If you were to ever cut out 48 inch letters, those would be some really big letters!!! B), I bought a 36 inch plotter a couple of years ago thinking that a bigger machine would be better for me, but still, i only use 24 inch vinyl in it.

I find the 24 inch machine alot easier to move around then my 36 inch.  I've done a couple of 6 foot tall signs and I just do it in panels and line it up...

Here are some things to consider...

Vinyl normally only has a shelf life for about a year? When you purchase that huge roll of vinyl, are you going to be able to use it in a year? or are you going to make enough profit of the very few jobs you get to cover the cost of that roll? Is there going to be a demand for this?

Do you have a supplier that Stocks vinyl that large?  Can they special order it?

If you purcahse the 50 inch machine, are you taking up too much space for later expansion? Digital Vinyl Printer, Heat Press, Another smaller vinyl cutter???

Ease of installation of a 50 inch decal?  I can cut ANY size, i just have to do it in panels... I would line up my first panel, and then my second and third and so on... There have been times where i have been installing a 24 inch decal to a Panel van and I make one mistake causing the vinyl to stick to itself rendering it useless... I would then just need to recut that panel... If you have the same mistake with a 50 inch decal, you will find yourself recutting the enitre job.

It is in my opinion that a 24 inch plotter will make you plenty of money, and with that money, if you have the customers that want the HUGE decals, then by all means, invest in that big ol plotter.

I personally would not buy a cutter as large as that unless I have had enough requests for vinyl that big. (and i dont)  I can make letters ANY size you want, I just need to do it in panels, (BTW, much easier to install...)