Sign in to follow this  
dslusarc

Circle is not round but 16 sided polygon instead

I have successfully installed my cutter and have been test plotting things and I am getting use to it now. I do have an issue with curves however. I draw my files in Autocad and then bring the file into Flexi. In Autocad a circle is a continuous curve. When it open in Fexi, the circle becomes a a 16 sided polygon. Same with all curves or arcs, they get replaces by short straight lines instead of arcs. Is there a setting in Flexi I need to adjust? I have tried both DWG format and DXF and the same thing happens.

Don 

EDIT:

I attached a screen shot below. You can see the curve of the "D" is shown as line segments in Flexi, in ACAD it is a continuous curve.

post-4323-12986532814725_thumb.jpg

post-4323-12986532825497_thumb.jpg

What happens when you cut it?

May be just a onscreen issue that dont effect the cut.

Dave

Guest fivestar

Can you zip the file and post it here.  I'll see what it looks like on mine.

i don't know about flexi, but it looks like the curve nodes are getting changed to corner nodes. that would produce the sharp corners you are getting.

bb

I posted the Flexi file here on my web space

www.slusarczyk.com/daddycut.FS

Now my friend made the ACAD file and emailed it to me then I imported it into Flexi. In ACAD the curves looks fine. I did notice he used splines in ACAD to create the lettering. It also looks like the issue is translation from ACAD to Flexi as if I click on the splines in ACAD, the points used to generate the spline are the points that Flexi is plotting to. The curve fitting between the points are getting lost somehow. Not sure how to resolve that unless it is you are not allowed to use the spline function in ACAD to generate curves. Only polylines maybe? As a test I did create a new ACAD drawing from scratch and made a circle then opened it into Flexi and it is still a curve so it has to be the way the figure was drawn in ACAD that is not translating into Flexi.

Thanks for looking into this, all help is appreciated.   

I have successfully installed my cutter and have been test plotting things and I am getting use to it now. I do have an issue with curves however. I draw my files in Autocad and then bring the file into Flexi. In Autocad a circle is a continuous curve. When it open in Fexi, the circle becomes a a 16 sided polygon. Same with all curves or arcs, they get replaces by short straight lines instead of arcs. Is there a setting in Flexi I need to adjust? I have tried both DWG format and DXF and the same thing happens.

Don 

EDIT:

I attached a screen shot below. You can see the curve of the "D" is shown as line segments in Flexi, in ACAD it is a continuous curve.

Try exporting from AutoCad in EPS format and see what that does.

What flexi do you have? Can you design anything in it or is it just the starter package? I had problem cutting from corel to my cutter and bought flexi to use as a cutting only program and had the same problems, I just got my corel fixed and quit importing anything to flexi. If I can design just simple stuff directly in flexi, I might use it again but I just really quit using it to all intents and purposes.

FlexiSign Pro. I seem to only have import from ACAD issues at the moment as items drawn in Flex work whenplotted. I am a daily ACAD user so it is easy for me to use ACAD, if I can figure this out this will help me greatly transferring my ACAD drawn items.

Don

Guest fivestar

FlexiSign Pro. I seem to only have import from ACAD issues at the moment as items drawn in Flex work whenplotted. I am a daily ACAD user so it is easy for me to use ACAD, if I can figure this out this will help me greatly transferring my ACAD drawn items.

Don

Shoot Don I am home now so I don't have access to my Flexi program.  I'm sure someone else on here will be able to look at it for you.  If not I can look at it Monday.

Guest stunad, jr.

can you post the original .dxf file that you made in autocad? 

Well I think I solved it. I had been saving in ACAD 2000 DXF format. However I decided to try other ACAD versions, and I found if I save as ACAD R12 DXF it works perfectly. If I use any newer version like ACAD R14, 2000, 2004, 2007 it converts as shown before. Now it is smooth and curvy! Now for a test print.   

Don

Guest fivestar

Now for a test print.   

Don

It's a test cut Don, not a test print.  ;D:);D Anyways great job on figuring it out and I hope it works for you.

Guest stunad, jr.

Now for a test print.   

Don

It's a test cut Don, not a test print.  ;D:);D Anyways great job on figuring it out and I hope it works for you.

I think he's using the pen plotter for blueprints.  I could be wrong

Well I am quite confused now. I loaded some paper in and sent it to the cutter with the pen head installed. It started to draw it out but it is VERY slow took 3 minutes to make a few letters and what it did make looked perfect, no faceting on curves, then it just sat for a few minutes drawing nothing and was stuck at 4% of the job. So I canceled the job. I then loaded one of the other versions and it plotted it very quickly abotu one minute but then the choppy lines were back again.

ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

Don

I am using the pen plotter until I get this figured all out, don't want to waste vinyl  ;D

Here is my DXF file in ACAD 2000 format (plots fast but with faceted edges instead of curves)

www.slusarczyk.com/daddycut2000.dxf

Here is my DXF file in ACAD R12 format (looks good but plots VERY slow and with erroneous lines)

www.slusarczyk.com/daddycutR12.dxf

Here is my ACAD drawing file.

www.slusarczyk.com/daddycut2000.dwg

Here is  screen shot from ACAD you can see the D is a nice curve so you know I am not crazy.

post-4323-12986532817836_thumb.jpg

post-4323-12986532827581_thumb.jpg

I emailed my buddy who made the DWG file and he said he actually made the file in Corel and saved as a DWG for me. So he emailed me the Corel file and now it works perfect. I guess the converting from Corel to ACAD to DXF was a bit too much processing.

Don

I emailed my buddy who made the DWG file and he said he actually made the file in Corel and saved as a DWG for me. So he emailed me the Corel file and now it works perfect. I guess the converting from Corel to ACAD to DXF was a bit too much processing.

Don

i think you hit the nail on the head.

bb