Sign in to follow this  
kevinm1127

Welcome is all I can get

Greetings

I took my 40"plotter out of the box and set it up for the first time today. When I turn the power on the LCD reads "Welcome" and that is as far as it gets, none of the buttons do anything except the reset button will raise and lower the cutter. The test button does nothing.  What a total disappointment. Am I missing something except the ability to cut?

Also, can this thing cut letters out of construction paper for the bulletin boards in my wife?s classroom?

Thanks for any help

Kevin 

Kevin, It sound like you have a motherboard issue which has probably come from mis-handling in transit.  We are taking steps to reduce these problems, but over the near term, there is little that we can do beyond provide good service after damage.

If you are comfortable working with electronics, we can replace just the mainboard for you, but first you should open up the cutter and make sure that all cables and chips are in place and fully seated.  You will need to remove the four screws on the endcap that is on the side of the cutter with the three computer connection ports.  If that does not work, please give us a call on Tuesday after the holiday, and we will take steps to either get the mainboard or the entire cutter replaced.  Our number is 425-284-2282.

In regards to your question about construction paper, I would imagine that the cutter would be able to cut the construction paper without problem.  There are two cutting strips the rear (teflon) strip is for vinyl and material with a backing.  The forward strip is a soft material that will not dull the blade if you cut through the material (as you would do with contruction paper).  Just make sure that the blade depth is shallow and just barely deep enough to cut through the construction paper, otherwise, it will have effect on the knife offset.

- Marcus

Greetings

Thank you for you quick response on a holiday weekend.

I have no problem on the electronics side of this issue. I have checked both boards for chip creep and everything was as should be. The device was probably shipped next a magnetic source or exposed to a source of static discharge. If you wish to ship me a new board 2nd day on Tuesday it will be much quicker and probably less expensive than shipping the entire plotter.

Thanks

Kevin