Sign in to follow this  
CyberChuck

Newbie needs help with vectorizing

I am very new to the vinyl cutting hobby. I have managed to muddle through cutting basic letters and some vectors that I have downloaded. But recently, a friend of mine asked me to make a one color window decal for him from a black and white image that he gave me. When I try to vectorize it, I lose way too much of the detail. The picture is the LSU (Louisiana State University) tiger. Just one example is that when I vectorize it, the eyes become completely black. I don't know much about node editing, so I have no idea if I can recreate the eyes (with my very limited artistic ability) or not.

I am attaching the image so you can see what I am working with. Hopefully, someone can give me some pointers to make my life a little easier.

Thanks,

Charlie

post-4248-12986532656724_thumb.jpg

post-4248-12986532662497_thumb.jpg

Charlie,

what program are you using to vectorize?  I use corel draw, and you can adjust the amount of detail you want with corel trace.  More nodes usually means more detail.

Charlie... firstly, thank you for asking to be taught how to do it versus just asking to have someone do it for you.

Go to www.inkscape.org and download their free program, and then follow the tutorial linked below... you'll be vectorizing images within a few seconds in no time!

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,8390.0.html

jheyne, I am using SB to try to vectorize it. I downloaded Inkscape when I got the Cutter, but I am completely lost. I will take a look at the tutorial you provided. Thanks. I haven't opened the vector that you created, yet. I'm not sure how to change the font, as the font was included in the image. It is also the font that LSU uses for their logo, so I would need to find one very similar or it would stand out (for the wrong reasons).

FireMalt, I work as a construction superintendent in real life. I always try to get my people to figure out the solution to a problem. If they are willing to put the time in to try to figure things out, they will typically remember what they learn. If I just show them, they'll forget it before the next time rolls around.

I have been using PSP for as long as I can remember (at least back into the Windows 3.0 days). I have looked at Photoshop and was lost. And I never even knew that Corel offerred an image program - only thing I remember them for was their word processor. I guess that's what happens when you use a specific program exclusively for a long time - you get passed up when the newest, latest greatest thing hits the market. I guess it's time to shake out the cobwebs and see if I can teach this old dog some new tricks.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm sure I'll be back for more help. I need to learn how to work all of this stuff so I can teach my computer illeterate wife - LOL. She is disabled and a "stay at home mom". She wants to try to make some decals and banners and such to try to earn a little extra money from home.

Charlie