Sign in to follow this  
mkcastor

Easiest cutter to use with mac?

Hello,

I am new to the vinyl cutting world and have been browsing around trying to find the best cutter for my purposes. I think I have it narrowed down between the 24" PCUT and the 24" Copam but I thought I would get the mac users opinion.

Purpose of cutter:

To cut sandblast mask for etching glazed ceramics. Will probably be using Hartco 400 Series sandmask (http://hartcoservice.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=)

Computer Setup:

Intel Macbook Pro running leopard and Illustrator CS3.

Optimally I would like to be able to cut directly from Illustrator but after browsing around I am starting to think this isn't possible (please let me know if it is.) It seems that SignCut and Flexi are the two most commonly used cutting programs for mac but which is more user friendly?

Originally I was leaning towards the PCUT since it is $270.00 cheaper than the copam but after reading the product description on the copam I saw this:

"Export Plugins available for CorelDRAW 6 to 13. Illustrator CS / CS2."

"Internal file-format works seamlessly on Windows and Mac OS X. Files can also be imported to CorelDRAW and Illustrator."

Are these simply due to the bundled software with the copam? If so, wouldn't the PCUT have this available as well if I used the same software? Or is it all in the copam driver making it more suited for mac use? $270 more for a copam is a chunk of change but if it avoids a bunch of headaches and makes my life easier I'll gladly spend it.

Overall, I am just looking for the most simple way to get started cutting on a mac.

Thanks for your help,

mkcastor 

So I am guessing it makes no difference? Maybe I'll just set up an old PC to control the cutter and use my mac for the design work. Seems like there might be less hassle that way...

Flexi is the easier to use of the two, but that is just from feedback from current users. Personally, I think they are both easy to use, but I am used to both, so...

Cutter really does not matter- it depends on the software.

Kenimes is probably the one person with the most knowledge of USCutter products.  He seems like a great guy who is trying to put others first, and help anyone who asks.

I do not agree with his comment that the cutter doesn't matter.  This is absolutely absurd, when more than 75% of the users in the Macuser Forum can't get his products to work.  You can't tell me that some OEM in China, producing the Refine, is half the quality of a cutter where the board and interface don't work because of the Texas Switch we Refine users were burdened with.

On top of that, the software and interface that USCutter offers for Mac OS is garbage.

I really hope that USCutter:

1.  Creates literature

2.  Updates that literature

3.  Offers a real solution.

Bottom line:  I'm reading more and more people who are posting negative remarks about USCutter products on their own forum.

Anyone else bothered by that?

Just a thought. 

Kenimes..  Good guy though...  It seems like he is the only one who gives a flying fart in space.

When I said that the cutter does not matter, it was in regards to which was the easiest to use with a Mac. I honestly do not think one is easier to use than the next, whether it be on a Mac or PC, when it comes to our low end, import cutters.

With regards to a basic import vinyl cutter- you just need to know how to turn it on, set the origin, and set your blade depth and downforce pressure, and maybe cutting speed. Other than that, the rest is done through the cutting software. Easiest software to use depends on the person using it. Maybe one that is easy for a certain person, is not as easy for the next.....

Anyhow, appreciate the feedback, just wanted to clarify.

:thumbsup:

Oh, and the majority of our Mac customers are running flawlessly, just like PC users- but there are some Macs and PCs that have other stuff on them, and whatever the other stuff is (hardware, software, etc), it just will not jive with the USB drivers for these import cutters. PC users have the option of using another connection method. Mac users are stuck with USB only....

Some Mac users find that a name brand Serial to USB adaptor makes things better, such as the KeySpan adaptor.

Also, this is a support forum, so of course, you will see mostly people stuck with a problem requesting assistance- seldom do people go to a support forum just to say things are working great......

Negative remarks are welcome- usually just those who are frustrated, so it is understandable. We do what we can to resolve issues- but we cannot resolve each and every issue with each and every Mac or PC- because there are just way too many differences from one PC/Mac to the next.....

Real solution- get a dedicated Mac or PC for the cutter that works without conflicts.