Mr Peabody

Contour Cutting in X4 & Graphtec - Help!!

Ok, I bought some cheap 8.5x11 vinyl at office depot last night just to try contour cutting on my Graphtec. Here's what I've accomplished so far.

Opened a eps, the colors were separated so I used the combine command. Ok that worked, selected the object and used the outline command, gave it an offset of .06, to the outside. Looks good so far. Put in a rectangle and converted it registration marks. That worked ok. Sent it to the printer, printed fine.

Here's the problem - I put the sheet into the cutter and I can get it to read the registration marks sometimes, not consistently. Sometimes it reads the marks and then cuts where it want to, not where the graphic is. I missing something here, operator error I know.

Does anyone have the detailed steps for setting this up? A good link that explains setting up both Corel and Graphtec to do this together?

I'm starting to get dizzy from banging my head on the desk!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ok here are the steps that worked for me  when you have your image in x4 I make sure its all grouped/welded/or combined  then go to effects - create boundry  then go to registration marks i use graphtec type 2 automatic select ok  then print place your printed image in your cutter. then click cut/plot then click on the layer tab and make sure that only no fill is selected  this is if your only wanted int cut a outline around the entire graphic by the way.  then go to the advanced tab and make sure use reg. marks is checked then click send.  sorry if thats not very clear I'm not good at explaining how to do stuff when typing it out lol.  let me know if this works for you

That's pretty clear, I'll try it later today or tomorrow and let you know how it works out. Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

Your directions worked out just fine, it put a nice contour line around the graphic. Put the registration marks in by using the rectangle command and converting it to registration marks. I printed it and loaded it into the plotter.

Well after some trial and errors (Many Many Many errors) I finally got it to contour cut. I was getting all kinds of errors while it tried to identify and locate the registration marks. One was displayed on the cutter " MarkError Cancel".

My only option was to press the enter key on the cutter and that aborts the job. So I looked at it some more. What I finally came up with and I don't know if this is right or not was this. In the Cut/Plot Dialog Box in Corel - On the Layering tab at the bottom is a box to select "Plotter Controller". I picked that so it was checked. This grayed out the "Use Registration Marks" section on the advanced tab.

I then opened the "CE5000 Cutting Plotter Controller" selected "Use Controller Settings" and under "Registration Marks - Distance" put in the dimensions (size) of the registration marks - Went to the "settings" put in the correct length and select "2 Point" instead of 4 point. Also made sure I had the correct type mark selected. Selected the "Advanced" button on the right, selected the "Command" button and changed it from HG-PL to GP-GL. (Note the GP-GL, in my case, is for Corel only. In Flexi it has to be set to Hp-GL) I could be wrong but that how it works for me.

So between the 3 dialog boxes, Corel (Cut/Plot), Cutting Master 2 and the Graphtec Cutting Plotter Controller - I have some what figured it out. I hope I didn't miss a step in the above, I think I got it all. I'm going to try it again with another graphic and see what happens.

Now here's my question - Isn't there an easier way?!  :thumbsup: Anyone have any ideas, thoughts or suggestions? The wife has started to ask me why my forehead seems to be getting flatter. It's from banging it on the desk.

If you're having the same problem as me I hope this helps, would love to hear of any other solutions out there that might make it easier.

Thanks

i think i got that a few of my first tries it seemed to find all but the last reg. mark then it would give me that error so then I just loaded the paper let it check the size of the paper then left the cutter head where it was instead of setting it to the first reg mark and that seamed to work for me without getting the error

That's what I forgot to add - I had to move the head to the mark and then press the origin button on the plotter. I'm still having some problems but I'll keep at it - I need to stop now - just because my frustration level is increasing -  :thumbsup: I'll try again later and let you all know how it goes.

Still looking for an easier way...