Sign in to follow this  
buddy

Dreamweaver

Anybody know anything about Dreamweaver?...like, HOW THE HECK DOES IT WORK?? :P  I am trying to get a web page together, we have our own server so I don't need anyones else's server usage. I use to use Front Page but they are no longer and Dreamweaver was the only thing I had.  What kind of images does it take?  I have my first page but for some reason it won't show the images I am trying to use fro buttons.  Can someone PLEASE HELP if you can?

Thanks oooldes

Dazzel

They don't make FP anymore so I thought if you do a web with it...it won't show up when people click on your page! RIGHT?:thumbsup: Please tell me I am wrong!!!! :P

THanks for the reply

Dazzel

I was just trying to figure dreamweaver out today for myself. Even with some tuts online it still doesnt make sense to me. I'm hoping that my friend can show me how to use it in exchange for some vinyl graphics. :thumbsup:

Cohesion...tell your friend to hep me too  :P...it is a HUGE program, kinda like Pshop but harder! :'( If ya figure it out please share your knowledge with me...PLEEEEEEEEESEA  :thumbsup:

Dazzel

Dazzel,

If I learn anything I'll do my best to share my knowledge. These forums have helped me out so much, it's the least I could do.

Dreamwaver is a complex software. I took a class for it and I learned a bit, and still I have to go and read tutorials as I go. I would suggest you go to www.pixel2life.com and look for the dreamweaver tutorials.

Good Luck

Joe

I will share this much, at least I know how to change the BG color and get images in the page and line things up and create borders, but my problem is where do all the files need to be and what kind of files do they need to be in order for everyone to see them properly without the little X appearing in the wondow. ARGH  :)  We can help eachother hows that?!  :P

Dazzel

If you do it in front page it will work fine, its all HTML/java whatever no matter what program you use. the only time you have to watch out is if you use .asp or php, then you have to make sure that the server has the extensions loaded.

Wayne

Thanks Joe...I have all the tutorials...I just don't get all the back door lingo as to where to place the files/images etc.  Front Page seemed to be a lot easier to navigate.

Wayne...(sigh) really?......then I will go back to my old way of doing things..."if it ain't broken why fix it"

Thanks bunches guys

Dazzel

Yes there will be no problem using fp, I know a company that I do some work for that uses it for their entire corp website..

Wayne

I've created a few sites in DW, if your images isn't showing that means your file paths are off. I suggest create the page directly on your Computer, then "Put" the whole site on to the server.

I've created a few sites in DW, if your images isn't showing that means your file paths are off. I suggest create the page directly on your Computer, then "Put" the whole site on to the server.

this is the easyist way to do it. also if i remember right you have to place all the images in the same folder that the paths point to. i went to college for web design and took a whole quarter on dw and still have trouble using it. the only problem with fp is it uses 2 certain files(can't remember what they are) to load on the sever and your sever has to support them. had some hosting problems in the past. just make it on your computerthen put the whole site upi at once like jeffrey said. also if you press f12 at anytime you can preview your page in the web browser. help alot. good luck

this is the easyist way to do it. also if i remember right you have to place all the images in the same folder that the paths point to. i went to college for web design and took a whole quarter on dw and still have trouble using it. the only problem with fp is it uses 2 certain files(can't remember what they are) to load on the sever and your sever has to support them. had some hosting problems in the past. just make it on your computerthen put the whole site upi at once like jeffrey said. also if you press f12 at anytime you can preview your page in the web browser. help alot. good luck

Sorry, been away for a while trying to figure out DW and with Haumana's help she has managed to get me to where I am now with my site.  Still having trouble with how to make all the pages the same as far as logo, disclaimers, products you know, like a template. How do I create that with pages I have already created?

Thanks for all your help

Dazzel

Like joe said, DW is pretty complex. If its just for your personal site, Id recommend looking into a CMS, like Nuke Evolution, or Joomla.

oops, you snuck one in on me ;D .... you mean have the logo etc, in the identical place on each page?

If so, just open the page that you have set up, and save it several times with different names...contact.html, gallery.html, etc. then just point your links to em :)

Hey MecH  :)

No it's not a personal site....I am trying to harness some business via the internet like everyone else!  :-  DW is VERY complicated, but my Daddy always told me to go for the jugglier!

I feel like I have been away for far too long from this site (1 week)...missed you all. ;D

Dazzel

I use Dreamweaver CS3 usually about 5-6 hours a day sometimes so I can certainly answer most any questions that you have about it probably. Is there something specific that you need help with?

--Cory

Gear yes...can you just build my site for me.... ;D:)  ;D  j/k I need to learn this stuff, however, I am the kind of person who when wanting something...I WANT IT NOW! I am practicing patience and in DW that's what is required!  :-

Thanks MecH, but I truly think there is a  better way than making a bunch of pages and just calling them something else...isn't there?! Gear?

OK, go to my UNFINISHED...CONSTRUCTION ZONE site....don't laugh or say UGGGGG...its a work in progress! ;D

www.peddygraphics.com

Dazzel

Gear yes...can you just build my site for me.... ;D:)  ;D  j/k I need to learn this stuff, however, I am the kind of person who when wanting something...I WANT IT NOW! I am practicing patience and in DW that's what is required!  :-

Thanks MecH, but I truly think there is a  better way than making a bunch of pages and just calling them something else...isn't there?! Gear?

OK, go to my UNFINISHED...CONSTRUCTION ZONE site....don't laugh or say UGGGGG...its a work in progress! ;D

www.peddygraphics.com

Dazzel

There are ways to setup templates in DW but it is rather cumbersome, but works. Doing that would allow you to make modifications to just one template and have it automatically update each page that uses that template.

I actually use a CMS (content management system) for all of my sites called Expression Engine. I only use Dreamweaver to edit and work on the the EE code because it is easier to do it that way for me. I don't actually build anything from scratch using Dreamweaver, although I used to do exactly what you are doing for many years!

I finally learned all about CMS's and saw the light!

--Cory

I would also suggest you look into a CMS...I use joomla, and they are extremely powerful, and much faster than trying to build your site from scratch.  Most of them are open source, which means people build modules you can use for free.  I built www.doublezdecals in my spare time after work and around life in about 2 weeks, from concept to functioning finished site including payment gateways.  If I would have had the time I could have sat down and done it in a day.  Of course it will take someone new to the system much longer because I have been using it now for about 2 years.  Don't look at a content management system as a cop out or limitation, plenty of web designers use them every day just because they are so fast and powerful.  There is a learning curve involved, as there is with anything, but I think its much smaller than the curve to say learn and code your own HTML site.

If you are dead set on using dreamweaver or building your sites from scratch.....I would invest a little back time on learning some html and about folders for images and paths and tags and all that sort of thing.  Yeah it takes longer, but a little backwards understanding goes a long ways to alleviate frustration.  All dreamweaver/frontpage type programs do is generate the code of the site for you, so you don't have to worry about writing the code yourself.  Understanding what the program is doing putting in the code when you click all the buttons makes things go much easier IMO.

Ok, so...what you are saying is that you build pages on CMS system then export them into DW? I have PS CS4 and Illy CS4 can I build on those and then just export? OK, so I went to a CMS site and don't get it...saw the so-so tutorial, you got a better site to check out for me? And what do you mean you don't create anything from scratch in DW ;D:) ...I TOTALLY admire ANYONE who knows how to get around programs so easily! CUDOS!

Dazzel