well...i do my design work in photoshop...just about all of it. Now I've been reading on the forums that you cant use photoshop to cut because its a raster based program. now my question is how do you take a multi colored design, vectorize it, then bring it to SBE?

You can make vector objects in Pshop (most text is until you rastarize it), but most stuff (drop shadows, gradients, etc).  I recommend Illustrator if you can, but you can always design in Pshop and use Vector Magic or Inkscape to vectorize and output to eps.

i do my design work in photoshop as well, but i use flexi. im using photoshop 7.0, once i have my design paths, i go to file-export-paths to illustrator. then it will save it as a "XXXX.ai"

then i can open flexi and import the illustrator file. it will have all the paths higlighted. then from there it can be saved as an eps file.

are you proficient with the pen tool in photoshop?

No i dont use the pen tool very often...ok but when you create something in photoshop...and it has lets say 3 colors...then you vectorize it...it goes all black...how do you fix that?

Well i tried vector magic and it worked...i opened one of my designs from photoshop into vector magic...then saved as .eps and it opened up in SBE...so i guess that worked right?

thats where in photoshop, you make 3 seperate shapes that dont connect to eachother. once in you cutter program, you ungroup them, then you can select them individually and give them differetn colors. are you trying to re- create an image? or start from scratch?

thats where in photoshop, you make 3 seperate shapes that dont connect to eachother. once in you cutter program, you ungroup them, then you can select them individually and give them differetn colors. are you trying to re- create an image? or start from scratch?

i dont really understand...lol im sorry..im new to this

its ok, lol. im in the same boat. first things first, are you tracing/re-creating an image or starting from scratch?

well right now i really dont have anything...im trying to figure everything out so when i order my cutter within the next few days..ill know what to do. pretty much i just wanna know how to create stuff in photoshop rather its a logo or just text...then bring it to SBE to cut it. Do i make reg marks in photoshop?

Depending on what you intend to do, SBE may fit your needs.  If its just text, you should be able to copy/paste it right into SBE from PS.  If its a logo, it may be a little more involved, but no problem.

Why dont you post an example of something that you would want to cut? We could take a look and tell you what needs to be done.

No reg marks necessary, unless you are contour cutting, which is another subject.

Depending on what you intend to do, SBE may fit your needs.  If its just text, you should be able to copy/paste it right into SBE from PS.  If its a logo, it may be a little more involved, but no problem.

Why dont you post an example of something that you would want to cut? We could take a look and tell you what needs to be done.

No reg marks necessary, unless you are contour cutting, which is another subject.

I will post something whenever I get home today. Now when reading about Flexi Starter. It seems to import PSD files...is that true?

it's all well and good learning to import things from different programs because eventually we will all run into a situation where this needs to be done. 

one thing you are going to want to do is to learn to use illustrator.  it might take a bit up front, but in the long run it is in your best interest.  when i first started doing this i knew next to nothing about illustrator.  EVERYTHING i did was in PS.  now i'm glad i took the time to learn.  if you want to do any kind of serious graphic design you need to make the switch. 

just my .02

PS I not ideal for creating vector objects...But if you must, I suggest creating each color on a layer and copying your reg. marks to each layer. Then individually vectorize each layer.

But if I were you, I'd get familiar with Illy or Corel!

I have Adobe PS 3 extended version and I'm tellin you, it has so many buttons and gagets I cant turn a simple photo into black and white, save it and open it in Vector Magic, all I get is the damn outline!! really gettin on my nerves!

I do not think i will get ill as I cant even operate photo shop...lol

Renee