Sign in to follow this  
C Lewis

How to cut sign acrylic?

I was wondering if i can cut 1/8" acrylic sign blanks on a table saw... would i need a special blade? I noticed a broken sign in front of this bagel shop. I checked it out and it is acrylic sign with cut vinyl, but cut into the shape of octagon. I really want to offer this guy a new sign..

Core, if you don't have a CNC machine handy, I believe it can be cut with the saw. You would probably need a fine tooth blade though? Sign Guy might know he replaces/fixes them.

If I apply tape on both sides, dont I have to put it over the cut lines, How will I be able to see where Im cutting....?

I might just have Signmart cut it for me. If they dont charge me a arm-n-leg.

Use a table saw with a Straight fine tooth blade...  and GO SLOW  :)

Jagged blade will cause the acrylic to crack or chip!

If I apply tape on both sides, dont I have to put it over the cut lines, How will I be able to see where Im cutting....?

I might just have Signmart cut it for me. If they dont charge me a arm-n-leg.

Acrylic usually comes with a protective tape on both sides.

I'm not 100% sure on this, so you'll probably want a second opinion.

If you turn the blade around backwards in the saw (if you can do so without interfering with any safety mechanisms on the saw) you'll be able to make a cut that "Shaves" a smooth cut instead of the rough "Ripping" action a blade normally makes

Hey core in the sign shop i used to work at in anaheim we used a masonry blade either with the table saw or a skilsaw it always cut just fine remember just to sand down the melted plastic....sometimes we just used a 5 in 1 tool to remove the shavings then sanded down the corners..... :) In matter of fact i just cut a piece down 2 weeks ago for Mater Dei high school....

Guest stunad, jr.

Being its an octagon with straight lines, I would scribe it a bunch of times, snap it & sand the edges.

my 2 cents

thanks for the info & feedback

Yogi, what shop in anaheim did you work at? Nice client....(Mater Dei)....

Well, I just talked to the owner of the bagel shop. His sign by the street keeps getting broke from vandals. So I suggested maybe aluminum or something more heavyduty (sheetmetal?). He wants two quotes, (acrylic & Heavyduty).... The slot in the frame is for 1/8", more feedback will be appreciated. 

go online or call  montroy in santa ana 1888 733 6001 and ask about the high impact acrylic ask for glen g...tell him javier from jnd signs sent you  :) Oh bravo sign and design in anaheim for 3 years  :lol:

Thanks yogi. I talked to glen at montroy.... Thats crazy ( in business for 80 yrs)

thanks for the hookup.... :) :) :lol:

If the sign keeps getting broken by vandals, then use Lexan...  that stuff is indestructible

hiya

the school i worked at we cut acrylic with a band saw and a table saw, the table saw had a laminate blade with lots of teeth.

we also used scroll saws and if doing a straight edge we would use a wood plane to flat the edge quickly,

a buffing wheel can be used to get a high shine finish the the edges but keep it moving or the plastic will melt.

regards

Richard

At work I use a acrylic cutter like this for stuff up to 1/4". http://www.artstuff.net/general_acrylic_cutter.htm I just clamp a straight edge on it, score it several times, then snap it off. To snap it you can turn it over after scoring it, clamp the straight edge along the scored line with the scored side down and pick up on the material. . Breaks really clean and straight.

I have a metal sheer I use the clamp on and turn the scored side down and just pick up on the material.

Thicker stuff I cut on the table saw with a 60 tooth blade and just feed it slow.

Most of my stuff gets the edges milled on a milling machine but if you have an edge guard going over it you won't need it that smooth.