Sign in to follow this  
kburk

how thick does a line have to be to cut it?

So how thick do I have to make a line before it will cut and give me 2 cuts to the line :thumbsup:

Does anyone understand that question?? if I draw a line in Illy cs4 it cuts the line. all good

But say I want to make a grid with lines, I would want the line to be more than just a cut

I would want dimension the the line

Any they say no question is a dumb question....

Thanks

Keith

Not a dumb question, I found there is no such thing!  You can use .5 line thinckness if you want, it would be hard to see for weeding but it can be done, I have done it with a magnifiying glass due to poor eye sight.

Daazel

Daazel, thanks for the reply.

I though that might be the case. My cutter will cut much much finer than I can weed that is for sure.

I think my issue is with my file then because I have a file this is a grid and it only makes a cut rather

than a line.

thank

Keith

Keith I know in Corel for the cutter to see a line it has to be a certain thickness. I want to say the min is "hairline".

The grid I'm cutting is 36"x48" my line is set to 10pt but it is not cutting.

I think the real issue is I have to move the file to Inkscape before I can

open it in signcut because Illy cs4 will not save it(or I'm not doing it right)

so thet signcut can see the file .

thanks for the reply

keith

Just save it as an .EPS file...file/save as and change the file type to EPS ...... in ILLY, with the file open, click VIEW/OUTLINE and itll show you the lines that will be cut instead of the fill.

I have the lines set to 15pt and they only "Cut" a line??

I'm having to save the file as a Illy 8 version to make it work with signcut now.

thanks

Keith

Ok I did that :thumbsup: nice trick so I will just go thicker I guess.

Just proves it if you beat some one long enough they will ether learn or DIE!!

Keith

Ok so no matter how how thick I go on the strock it still shows only a cut??

Keith

Mabye I'm not asking the right question.

If you where to make a grid in vinyl how would you

build it with lines or?? because for me this just is not workin

Keith

Make a rectangle the size of the entire sign. Make smaller rectangles where you want the white to be and combine them so they are cut out. You should be able to create on then duplicate it down or to the right to make the rest.

Your kidding right?? :thumbsup::huh:

Really Ithink I'm just going to scrap this hole thing then I would take me

a few day to get that right. Man this sucks!!

Ok Thank Jay

Keith

Here is a start for you:

jay; if you export that file as a jpeg also. you can post a preview, such as i have done above. just sayin'.

bb

Lets see if this will help, when you make your line to 15pt it only cuts a line. In Illy You need to select the line and goto object,path,outline stroke. That will make the line cuttable as a thick line. If you go to do a grid, draw all your lines , outline stroke and then merge in the pathfinder palatte.

Hope this helps.

Ok Thank you all for the help on this! I decided for the best interest of my sanity and my computer, because I was going to drive over it with my truck last night, I walked a way and went swimming with my son.

So Jay thanks for the file I see what you mean. Of course the file has changed a bit. So I hope it is posted now. I have been having issues with that also. The file is too big.

I have few things going on Illy cs4 does not work with signcut x2. So I have got a pre release beta version from signcut. There new signcut pro. It works with cs4. Second I'm new at Illy, no really I know comes to a shock!! Lastly I was no so smart because I though I would do this job quick so I sheared a piece of sheet metal welded up a frame and sent it for powder coating, also I got the project managers and little button cut for the columns and engraved. the point to this is I literally boxed my self in a very tight corner.

If I change the dimension I will be remaking the blank and sending it for powder coating again or I have to get new brushed plates re engraved.  :huh:

It really is a good thing right the glass is half full. :thumbsup: I have to learn somehow.

Bla Bla BLa ok I will give Blues Idea a shot and if not I will make it work with the boxes as jay suggested.

Thanks again!!

Keith

Blue your trick worked on my file thanks I was able to eek out enough

space that I think I don't have to re do anything thanks for that :):lol:

Now if I could just get my cutter to work again Sign cut is killing me :)

Keith

When you make a single line wider in AI, you then have to expand it so there are cut lines on the outside of your line, not just the single line in the center.

Hope that made sence.

Dave