bk2design

Etching and sandblasting tips & tricks

Guest Schramm

Do they sell well?  Looks nice when done, have you ever done them without the paint?  I think that the carved look in the stone would be nice.

Do they sell well?  Looks nice when done, have you ever done them without the paint?  I think that the carved look in the stone would be nice.

That's just a tut I found. I'm just starting out in this. Tryin' to find more ideas, etc.

I literally just did my first one

sorry the pic is kinda big and bad cause its from my blackberry.

Wayne

post-2294-12986530652804_thumb.jpg

post-2294-12986530666844_thumb.jpg

that is sandblasted,  with that 70 grit aluminum oxide stuff @ harbor freight

you know, I probably went a little longer than I should have cuz I was worried that It wouldnt do the tiny print well, but it sure did..

Wayne

Wow, that link you posted is killer bk!  There forum has a ton of posts too:

http://www.cuttingedgesandcarving.com/forums/index.php?

I bought a cheapy handheld blaster at HF, and the same 70grit media and am having great results at basic etching/frosting.  However, to do something like the tutorial posted above, you are going to have to blast for a LOOOONG time it seems like.  I'm more than likely going to buy a blasting booth to recycle media.

Anyone know how much better silicon carbide works compared to basic aluminum oxide?

I literally just did my first one

sorry the pic is kinda big and bad cause its from my blackberry.

Wayne

Looks good Wayne!!! I've been trying some too with some glasses I picked up at Ollie's Bargain Outlet.

hehehe, That one was fresh from the dollar tree!

although if you look carefully you can see a crack in it, that would be where I was so excited seeing how well it worked I accidentally hit the fridge with it in a frenzy to dry it and throw my paper towel out. hahaha

anyways, there were those glasses, a nice sized Carafe and a cool, blue, tall cylidrical vase which would have worked nice too, so if you if you have a dollar tree nearby check them out, its a good price and they are big, so they will hold lots of beer, just not mine :angel:

Wayne

I didn't even think to look at Dollar Tree. There's one nearby so I'll check them out.

Where did all the sandblasters go? I know there were people posting about it awhile back. You guys still out there? I have access to a large compressor at work and so I am looking for more info as far as carving, etc.

you know the one thing I forgot to do is back off on the pressure, I used full pressure, whatever the compressor would put out, and its a big one..

lol

Wayne

The Dollar Tree is great for experimental stuff!  :angel:

If you mess up, you are only in it a couple of bucks, and if you have kids like me they get all the glass ware that is tested on. (They will just break it anyway)

You're irght Muttley! Just picked up $15 worth to practice on. Some pretty nice pieces too!

Howdy,

I am a sand carver looking to add vinyl to my tool bag. Trying to locate a plotter at this time. As of right now I hand cut my blast resist right on my stone, etc.

If you are not going to get real serious about sand carving the actual grit material is of minor importance. I have used AO (alum Oxide) and am now using a sand product. If you want longer lasting then go with SC (Silicon Carbide)

The main thing is to be damn sure you vent your work area and get ALL of the blast dust out of your breathing area! NEVER EVER blast where you are breathing the dust. IT WILL KILL YOU. That is the main reason that a blast cabinet is used. I built my cab (48x24x24 blast area, slide open front for access) and vent using a shop vac type vac equip'ed with a 3 micron HEPA filter. The exhaust air from the vac is exhausted directly out of my shop. Believe me, the dust that is not trapped is some of the worst you can breath!

I carve slate stone and man made tiles. Almost all of my blasting is done at 20 pounds of pressure using a pressure pot. Siphon grit systems just are not for our type of work.

I use a blast gun from Bob Pickard (www.pabblaster.com). A piece of tubing with a hard nozzle can be used.

Glass is very soft. 20 pounds of pressure is sufficient for virtually anything you can think of.

Thanks to all of you vinyl types for posting your hard learned lessons.

John

post-3953-12986531460463_thumb.jpg

post-3953-12986531460788_thumb.jpg

post-3953-12986531468728_thumb.jpg

post-3953-12986531468794_thumb.jpg

welcome to the forum big daddy, you said "A piece of tubing with a hard nozzle can be used." what sizes would you recommend? also what type of valve for on/off ? i would think brass would wear to quick, am i wrong?

regards duke

Duke:

NOTE: I cut stone and glass at about 20psi. High pressure will change the equipment (hoses, etc) you will need to be using!

You asked about nozzles and hose. I use two different nozzles: 3/32 & 1/32. The actual size for you will depend on what type of work you are doing. Check out this link: http://www.sandcarver.org/pinchnozzle.htm. It should show a way of making your own hose/nozzle setup. The hose is possibly the most important item as most types of tubing will not hold up to the abrasive. This is what I use: from US Plastic Corp., Polyurethane - Ester Base tubing, items 56409.

I use a 'gun' type setup for my blasting. http://www.pabblaster.com/PAB%20Gun.htm There is a guy offering a wana-be but this is the original and is used by a lot of other carvers.

I am not an expert but will attempt to answer as best as I can.

John

How long did it take to blast the deep etch in the tile, bigdaddy?  Was that done with SC or AO?

Have you used a siphon system, if so, how did it compare in efficiency to the pressure pot?

Howdy,

The cutting speed varies depending upon the material being cut. Example, wood is very hard to cut as the wood fibers absorb the impact from the abrasive and the material dents rather than cut. On the other end is glass which despite its appearance cuts very quickly. Slate stone is soft compared to marble, etc. The slate tiles I pictured in an earlier post in this thread took me about 30 min's to cut. Part of the issue has to due with pressure vs resist adhesion. Too much pressure will blow the resist loose and that is not good. Once loose it is as good as gone as abrasive grit is almost guaranteed to have gotten stuck to the loose piece and it will never stick well again.

The issue of siphon vs pressure pot is partially dependant upon what you are attempting to do. It is very difficult to get good and consistent grit flow and consistent pressure from the siphon systems. I do not know of a carver that is still using a siphon system. Pressure pot is - in my opinion - the only way to go EXCEPT for the very low end work such as rust removal, etc. Siphon is easier as the pot never goes empty, but ......

John