Sign in to follow this  
jasonsan

Cutting small graphics for paint mask

Howdy folks,

I'm having problems cutting paint mask graphics w/ my new laserpoint. After researching on here, I have confirmed my XY calibration, and have experimented with 60 deg blade, various offsets, cutting speeds, and downforce ( paint mask supplier suggests 85-100).  I thought that perhaps the graphic wasn't clean enough, but I have also tried to cut a simple font created in SBE with the same results.

Problem: The corners do not always close, there's either a random "sliver"  of vinyl or a tiny, "j" shaped cut outside the line. I also cannot seem to get the small triangles in the chainwheel part of the graphic to cut cleanly.

The graphic starts as  a JPG that I trace in Inkscape, convert to EPS, and then open in SBE to send to cutter.

Thanks for any help.

Jason

post-2189-1298653040653_thumb.jpg

eliis1.SBD

post-2189-12986530415472_thumb.jpg

eliis1.SBD

you will likely have to hand trace the image using the poly line tool and the node editor in sbe to get a good image for cutting. you did not mention "blade offset". make sure it is set to 0.25. also try changing the cutter direction and cutter movement settings.

bb

the misalignment of the start and finish points of a cut are most likely due to the small amount of free play in the cutter head. it is inherent in the design. if you want better accuracy, you will have to spend more money on a better machine. these cutters are great for most things, just not super fine detail. imho

bb

I'd suggest doing squares in SBE and seeing if the corner issues go away.  I've found on mine 0.25 is NOT a correct offset for all purposes, mine is closer to 0.  I haven't figured out the fine details on mine, but what I recently found helpful is to USE THE PEN first to see what the drawing looks like "cut" before worrying about the actual cutting.