Sign in to follow this  
osrbikes

Help with long cuts on LP

I can not get my LP to pull the vinyle straight-- if I am doing some small work it is fine-- if i try to go maybe something 24" long or if I do an outline the cutter drifts and pulls sideways and won't get me an outline-- the 24" olng stuff comes out crooked and looks like it is going downhill--- i have tried adjusting all 3 guides and my best results come with using 2-- when i try to do 3 they bunch and wast the paper?  Please help!

My LP only has two rollers.  What I do is put the vinyl in, line the laser up on the holes at the edge of the vinyl, then advance the vinyl all the way thru the cutter.  How far I advance it depends on how far the cut will be.  By watching the laser on the holes you can see if the vinyl is drifting left or right.

If it starts to drift to one side of the other I adjust the vinyl by lifting the left roller (the right one stays down) moveing the vinyl a bit then put it back down and advancereverse the vinyl until I get it right.  If I was doing that with three rollers, I'd leave the center one up until i got the vinyl tracking right, then I'd put it down.

That's how I do it anyways.

azdecals

i guess i am not understanding-- i run the vinyl all the way back and forth-- then when i lift to adjust it just starts over and does it again-- you send your vinyle in crooked? I guess is what your says-- kinda like- if you hit a golf ball to the left all the time-- you just aim a little right?  I guess thats the only way I can say that?

i also got my paper off ebay and it seems to be junk-- super thin stuff--- i had 1 roll of better quality and it seems to pull a little better.

Are there some machines that use suction too? 

Could my roller be rolling at different rates from one end to the other?

What size LP do you have?

Like HySpeed suggested, make sure that any/all pinch rollers that you are using are coming down on the traction part of the bottom rollers, if you seat the pinch roller elsewhere you could get some disastrous results (speaking from personal experience). If you are using a large roll of vinyl and have the stand for you LP, then you can pretty much pull the vinyl minimizing any slack and it should be pretty close to being on the money.  If using a loose piece, I found it easier to try to line up the edge (provided that the edge is straight) with the lines on the yellow and black sticker. scroll back and forth and make minor adjustments from there. When making my minor adjustments, I generally only lift one roller and move it a smidgen to correct the alignment.

If you are seating the pinch roller on the traction bar and still get sketchy results, take a look at the pinch roller itself to see if the rubber wheel is cracking or if it looks like something is wrong, that might also cause misalignment.

The wider the vinyl the greater the chance of the vinyl "tenting" between two pinch rollers. So make sure that then those two pinch rollers come down, the vinyl is flat as possible across the cut strip.

Good luck.  :thumbsup:

With my LP24 what I do is slide the roll of vinyl to the right against the roller bracket.  Feed the vinyl into the machine and line up the right side edge of the vinyl with one of the measurement marks on the scale under the cutting head. Mine runs nice and straight with the vinyl set between the 4th and 5th mark.

Then set your laser to the edge and run the vinyl back and forth to check the straightness and adjust from there. :thumbsup:

Dave

With my LP24 what I do is slide the roll of vinyl to the right against the roller bracket.  Feed the vinyl into the machine and line up the right side edge of the vinyl with one of the measurement marks on the scale under the cutting head. Mine runs nice and straight with the vinyl set between the 4th and 5th mark.

Then set your laser to the edge and run the vinyl back and forth to check the straightness and adjust from there. :thumbsup:

Dave

This is the same thing I do.  I have printed flames over 10' long with maybe 1" of off-tracking at the end.

If you get it aligned and run out and back in the full length of vinyl that you are going to cut and it stays straight, then you start cutting and it goes off-track, you may have a problem.  Otherwise, its just a matter of getting the hang of aligning it.