pungohboy

Etched glass (not the vinyl)

That's a helluva compressor..  I have a 2hp 3.3cfm@90psi, 4.3@40psi.  Don't plan on upgrading anytime soon, just bought this one, don't have the room for a behemoth like yours.. :D

You say you deep carve at 40-50psi, what psi do you etch/frost at?  I have been using around 70 for glass etching.

Also, how long does it take you to do a typical, say 12"x12" stone deep carve?  I am using 70grit AO at around 70psi, tried it on some tiles I picked up, basically ran ~10oz of AO through my little gun pointed at around 1/2" diameter spot and it did practically nothing!  Could be the tile, however.

Regarding the pressure pots more efficient, do you have any idea why this is?  I have used cabinets before (for much more boring things) and it seemed like the problem was keeping the media falling down to the tube pickup.  We remedied this on a friends cabinet by adding a shaker mechanism that constantly kept the media flowing downward.

Good call on the ventilation and respirator.  At least they don't let you use silica sand anymore, though!

Pressure pots are more efficient than siphon. However, I suggest a foot pedal control with the pressure pots. If you are just starting, I suggest a cabinet with siphon and a decent regulator. Look at Harbor Freight Tools online or store. You could check TP Tools.com too. If you're not blasting big stuff, a blasting cabinet is just find. I even deep carve with my siphon blasting cabinet using 40 to 50 psi. My compressor comes from Harbor Freight Tools...5hp, 25.4 cfms @ 40 psi and 18.5 cfms @ 90 psi. This is very important...cubic feet per minutes...at least 12 to 14 cfms! Use Aluminum Oxide if possible, I use Garnet. It is clean and practically dustless. Also use a good ventilation system on the cabinet. A mini saw table vacuum will work around 100 to 150 dollars. Upgrade when your projects start making you money. This is the best way to cut corners or you will be out of tens of thousands of dollars. Always wear respirator. Don't cut corners here...go to Grainger Tools. Spend between 25 to 180 dollars, these are your lungs! Keep it blasting!

Is it a 80gal campbell hausfield?  if it is, i have the same compressor!  i also have a small 20 gal craftsman that i use for blasting!

My compressor is a U.S. General 80 gal compressor. It came from Harbor Freight Tools. Keep an eye on Harbor Freight because these compressors go on sale. Also it is a single phase, 230/240 volts, 30 amp motor...meaning put a dryer plug on it and plug it into the dryer outlet. Presto! You're set to blast anything at any given pressure.

With open sand blasting, ie not in a cabinet, You must use a good respirator or pressurized helmet. This is not the area to cut corners! The damage to your lungs will be permanent. Welding jackets make good clothing for sand blasting, leather works best. Be prepared to work in short shifts it is hot under all that equipment.

my wife and i are getting set up to do this now.i have a powdercoat shop and use the pcutter to make stencils.but weeding for little wine glasses or anything that has a ton of detail is time consuming and frustrating.

so we are looking to buy a rapid mask system from ikonics for the detail and ease of photo imaging.

we have a dealer for anchor hocking glass,libbey glass,and restaurant /cooking utensils waiting for an order.

also looking to set up for an onsite application.outfit my toy hauler to make our shop mobile.

Sandstorm,

Excellent work. I used to do etching as a hobby using hydrofluoric acid. Made a few nice pieces for the home (glasses, plates, picture frames, a jewelry box, etc.), but didn't even know about cutting vinyl back then. I was buying my stencils from Hobby Lobby - - - kinda expensive as some of you probably can attest to. After seeing what you are producing it sure is tempting to add it to my list of things I'd like to offer. I also do metal etching, which I put on the back burner after I got my cutter.  :D I am having way more fun with the vinyl right now. Thanks for posting the link to show us your art.  :huh::thumbsup:

Z

For those of you in this business, where are you getting your glasses, awards, etc to use? I am in the practice stages of sand etching with my sand blaster but I am clueless where to look online for catalogs to have items to offer customers and figure out pricing...