Sign in to follow this  
longarm

Two Signcut/Copam Issues

There are a couple of issues that I have with the function of SignCut x2 that I have tried to resolve with no luck. 

I am using: Windows Vista, Corel X3, Signcut X2 Ver 2.21, Copam 4050 Plotter

1. I appreciate the fact that when cutting letters or objects that have centers, the centers are cut first.  However it would be a real timesaver if the software would also cut the outside of that object immediately following the center cut.  Also, why not cut the weeding lines as you go instead of sending the vinyl back to the origin and starting over?  It would be much better if the vinyl traveled down the plotter bed only once.  Which brings me to my next issue....

2. After completing a plot, Signcut X2 sends a 'return to origin' command. (I am assuming that this is a software command, not hardware).  Whereas this is not a problem on short plots, it is a major headache on long plots.  I have to scramble to keep the vinyl from bunching up while the plotter is running at full speed from one end to the other on a fruitless errand.  If there is a way to circumvent this, I have not found it.

Back in 1990, the old Ioline plotters executed a hardware initiated 'return to origin' command after each plot, however this could be turned off from the plotter setup.  No such option on the Copam.

Does anyone have any insight on these issues.

As a follow up to this post of mine, I posed the same questions to the good folks @ Signcut.  Their prompt and helpful reply reinforces my respect for them.  I got this reply within a few minutes.  These guys really take us seriously.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your opinions.

Regarding point #1, we plan on working on a new optimized sorting mode where it should move

between closest objects while still cut inside first, it is on our todo-list. ;D

Regarding weedinglines, we have implemented that in the latest version that will be released

after new-years eve, and will be called "SignCut Productivity Pro", it will be free of charge

to upgrade to this new version and your current subscription will be included.

Point #2. SignCut behaves differently depending on what machine you use, and depending on what that

machine allows in terms of paging. When using plotters/cutters like Roland, Summa, Mutoh, Graphtec

and similar, the knife will always stop after the cutting, and you will receive a dialog allowing

you to rewind and step beside previous cut, or allow you to feed forward in ord

er to cutoff the vinyl and then stop behind it.

Also on machines like newer Graphtecs, Roland, Summa and Mutoh's we also allow to cutoff the

vinyl automatically between copies/tiles and or cutoff after finished cutting.

So it really depends on what the machine supports in terms of commands. What kind of plotter/cutter

do you use?

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Best regards

Per Johansson / Whisqu Graphic AB

I answered them and told them I had a Copam 4050 and they replied;

Ok, Thanks we will look into it. We have just received

a Copam 2500 at the office and will investigate if we

can improve the driver to stop after cutting.

Best regards

Per Johansson / Whisqu Graphic AB

This is the kind of service everyone should offer.  (Are you listening Microsoft?)