Guest garysigndesign

USB to Serial chip set problem!!!

Guest garysigndesign

NOTICE:

The latest word from SignCut is that there is no problem with the SignCut software but the Refine plotter has a bad USB to serial port chip installed in the  side of the plotter and it should be replaced with an external converter plugged into the 9 pin serial port  thus bypassing the USB plug. Also when using the serial plug port use a third party USB to serial plug like the KEYSPAN  - RS232 / USA-19HS by doing this bypass this will correct any outstanding  communication problems caused by the chip set  built in the side of the plotter. The reason for the problem is this particular chip dose not have the capacity to be upgraded for the newer operating systems to convert information to the plotter. Hopefully US Cutter will reimburse us for  this expense or inform the Refine  plotter users that they are able  to purchase a bulk quantity of a workable adapter plug and offer it to us at their cost  along with an additional 5 months of free signcut plotter software access for the inconvenience and time from developing our business. While they replace this bad chip with an upgraded one.  Also offer a replacement chip to be replaced along with upgraded drivers to make good to all of the customers who have been waiting for a real fix for there plotters that will allow them to finally start cutting vinyl without any mistakes and rebuild their confidence in there foundation which is a reliable cutting plotter. from : garysigndesign  / Gary Karm out...

Gary, While I understand that Kjell isn't thrilled with the Serial->USB convertor, I think that part of the reason for it is because it is more difficult to support due to using the extra driver.  I do not think that using an external serial->USB convetor will magically solve any problems.  The built in unit is effectively the same as an external cable using the FTDI chipset which is the second best chipset available (second to the Keyspan cable, which would add about $30 to the cost of the machine).

For those having problems, please describe them.  If you are having problems connecting, it is usually caused by software that monitors serial ports or incorrect settings in your cutting software.  If you are having problems cutting (such as lines going through the image), it is probably related to static which can be solved by first grounding, and second, increasing conductivity using methods such as humidifying or misting.  If the machines stops cutting mid-graphic, make consider static issues, or also try setting your baud rate to 4800.

We have sold more than 3000 of these units, and most of our customers are using the machine without incident.  It seems that there are a high number of incidents simply because this is the first place than many customers come for support.  If you have an issue, please be respectful of the forums and post to the correct boards and do not double post.

Guest garysigndesign

Marcuso,

The series of posts were out of frustration the following are directly from SignCut's forum based on topics I brought as a topic for discussion : With the addition of the Key Span converter added to the Refine plotter what type of results can one expect? Moreover, with this addition of the converter what dose or what additional functions are available that were not available without this devise? I guess I am trying to understnd that with the key span converter in place that the plotter will function as it was intended. Yes? Gary Karm out...

The SignCut-X2 Team

6-Jul-2007 (07:00:44)

Yes,

I think they have a Prolific based or Chinese developed chip set for the USB to serial converter function and they do not provide good drivers for the Mac OS.

The SignCut-X2 Team

The above comments are directly from the tec people who are suppose to be solving issues of non- functioning aspects of the Refine plotter so the manufacturer could take these findings and incorporate them into refining this Refine plotter line and make it more compatible for multi-platform operating systems. From these comments I can understand that from my own reacerch of the USB to serial conversion chips there seems to be several variations and yes the driver from  FTDI chips is I am sure outstanding but what is the actual chip that is used internally on the Refine plotter??? Please let me know the exact numbers and manufacturer of this chip.

When I do lengthy cuts, it stops in the middle of sending and shuts off my laptop. This has caused me to waste a ton of vinyl already. So do you think if I get this keyspan thing it wil solve my problem? I don't have a serial port otherwise I would use it.

When I do lengthy cuts, it stops in the middle of sending and shuts off my laptop. This has caused me to waste a ton of vinyl already. So do you think if I get this keyspan thing it wil solve my problem? I don't have a serial port otherwise I would use it.

Have you set the baud rate in the software and on the cutter to 4800?  I don't think getting a keyspan adapter would help.  The keyspan adapters have been offered as a fix for people having problems with the Copam machine with the Mac address.  Otherwise, we have not recommended a keyspan adapter as it should offer no advantage over the built-in FTDI chip.

Marcuso,

The series of posts were out of frustration the following are directly from SignCut's forum based on topics I brought as a topic for discussion : With the addition of the Key Span converter added to the Refine plotter what type of results can one expect? Moreover, with this addition of the converter what dose or what additional functions are available that were not available without this devise? I guess I am trying to understnd that with the key span converter in place that the plotter will function as it was intended. Yes? Gary Karm out...

The SignCut-X2 Team

6-Jul-2007 (07:00:44)

Yes,

I think they have a Prolific based or Chinese developed chip set for the USB to serial converter function and they do not provide good drivers for the Mac OS.

The SignCut-X2 Team

The above comments are directly from the tec people who are suppose to be solving issues of non- functioning aspects of the Refine plotter so the manufacturer could take these findings and incorporate them into refining this Refine plotter line and make it more compatible for multi-platform operating systems. From these comments I can understand that from my own reacerch of the USB to serial conversion chips there seems to be several variations and yes the driver from  FTDI chips is I am sure outstanding but what is the actual chip that is used internally on the Refine plotter??? Please let me know the exact numbers and manufacturer of this chip.

The Refine cutters come with an FTDI and not Prolific chipset.  The above quote was probably referring to using a Copam with Mac OS X.  The Keyspan adapter offers no functional advantage, and in fact, we have tested both the FTDI and the Prolific chipset, and both work with Mac OS X.  The problem is that the drivers for both the FTDI and the Prolific chipset are very basic on Mac OS X and they have no settings dialog.  This makes it difficult to diagnose issues.  Even more difficult is the fact that if you install the wrong (outdated) driver, you need to delete it before installing the right driver, and the only way to un-install it is to manually delete files.  My tech has little Mac experience, and I am unable to walk everybody through OS X installations, so using the Keyspan adapter (which is much easier to install) has been a simple and fast fix.  Most of the above details only apply to the Copam machine which comes with a Prolific cable (the FTDI chipset that is installed in the Refine machine is a bit easier to deal with).

My cutter and software always have been on 4800. I think its my computer.

My Refine machine works flawlessly with the USB... Never ever had one issue with it... it has never not responded nor has it never did what it was intended to do...

Like Marcuso stated, Keyspan for the Copam, the Refine model works as intended with the standard USB... You just have to be sure that you install the correct drivers for this device...

You stated that this machines onboard USB is not compatable with the newer operating systems?  What version of OS are you running?

Here is the link to the updated drivers for the Refine... However, I did not use these, and am running great with what came on the CD...

http://uscutter.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=12&Itemid=5