Sign in to follow this  
coateslr

9 pin serial vs 25 pin parallel

I have a Copam 4050.  Is there any communication differences between using 25 pin parallel port to parallel and the 9 pin serial port to serial on the computer.

I know the usb to serial causes several problems with the cutter stopping in the middle of cutting designs. 

Which one is better, the 25 pin parallel or 9 pin serial in keeping the communication between the computer and cutter optimized for better performance?

Thanks

Either port is better than the USB for stability. I do not think one is better than the other, but I have had less trouble getting the 9-pin Serial port going on most computers.

Thanks Ken.  I just received my new motherboard last night to replace the defective one.  My husband installed it and I used an old windows 98 PC with a parallel port.  So far I haven't had any problems with a blank display not showing the funtion settings since replacing the motherboard, and the cutter cut fine.  I didn't want to take any chances of the USB to serial failing.  Since the old PC is very slow, I need to purchase either the serial or parallel port to go on my faster PC.  I was just wondering which one would work the best.  Thanks a bunch for getting me up and running again. 

Thanks Ken.  I just received my new motherboard last night to replace the defective one.  My husband installed it and I used an old windows 98 PC with a parallel port.  So far I haven't had any problems with a blank display not showing the funtion settings since replacing the motherboard, and the cutter cut fine.  I didn't want to take any chances of the USB to serial failing.  Since the old PC is very slow, I need to purchase either the serial or parallel port to go on my faster PC.  I was just wondering which one would work the best.  Thanks a bunch for getting me up and running again.   

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Anytime.

Happy Holidays!