Sign in to follow this  
Primal Rage Outdoors

Heat press overheating, any ideas ?

Okay I picked up a Heat Master 15x15 heat press ( thank you , you know who you are!) but it is in great shape but it overheats then blows a fuse in the house, lol, i am betting on the thermostat being bad, which can be fixed, at least i would hope so, Someone on another forum said to get an Ir thermostat to check the temp, that still dosn't solve the issue, I wanna fix it not stand there wait for it to get to temp, then turn it off, and on, and off, etc, etc  any ideas folks ?

Guest fivestar

That "someone" on the other forum was me.  I told you to get an IR thermometer because you said it was scorching shirts, you never said anything about it blowing fuses.

In your last reply at the other forum you said the fuse is only 10 amps.  That could be a problem there as these machines require a 20 amp fuse/breaker.  As for the thermostat, it could very well be the problem, but you still should get an IR thermometer as it could save ALOT of headaches down the road.

okay, if you would then, please explain why the ir thermostat is gonna help, I mean I already have one for checking temps on windows for cold weather installs, the only thing that will tell me is it is overheating, correct ? some has had to deal with this issue before I would assume ?

Guest fivestar

Forget it......Don't use an IR thermometer.

BTW, why would you use an IR thermometer for cold weather installs?  I've installed vinyl in near 0 weather, I don't need an IR thermometer to tell me it's too cold, I need one to check my upper platen on my heatpress to be sure it is functioning properly.

I use the Ir to see the difference in temps from inside to outside on glass windows so I can get an idea of ambient temperature, for the types of vinyl I use which could be oracal, arlon, etc, weather you beleive it or not, I do appreciate the input, and all I wanted was a simple explanation as to why to use the ir, thats it. the unit reaches about 485 then pops the fuse, I switched it to a dedicated line with a 20 amp breaker, still pops it. I did find that American Mfg still has a web site so I contacted them in hopes they may be able to give me an Idea. once again I DO appreciate the help

Is the unit on its own circuit/ outlet? The economy units we offer pretty much require their own circuit.

yes, I do have it isolated on its own circuit, nothing else to it, tht's why I'm leaning toward a thermostat issue, hell i dunno, just don't have the loot to buy a new one, when I think this is something simple, lol

yes, I do have it isolated on its own circuit, nothing else to it, tht's why I'm leaning toward a thermostat issue, hell i dunno, just don't have the loot to buy a new one, when I think this is something simple, lol

Just thought I would check. I hope it turns out to be something simple for you as well.