Sign in to follow this  
jkorab

blade won't move

I have a Refine MH721, purchased Nov. 2006.  I use SignBlazer.

When I turned on the machine today the welcome screen on the cutter wouldn't go away.  When I pressed the reset button the normal start up display was showing, but when I went to offline/pause I could move the vinyl but not the blade.  Please help if you can!!  Thanks!!

When you turn the unit on, does the carriage go to the right side and stop, or does it grind in to the side of the unit? With the unit turned off, can you manually move the carriage back and forth across the width by hand?

When I turn the unit on the carriage does not move at all.  The spools for the vinyl spin, but nothing from the carriage or the blade.  I am able to manually move the carriage across the width, but there is some resistance.

If it is a motherboard failure, can it be fixed?  Can you think of any other reason why it wouldn't be working? 

Yes, by replacing the motherboard. I really cannot think of anything else that would cause this if the carriage moves freely across the width of the unit. First part I would replace if the unit were on my tech. bench.

In almost 2 years of servicing the MH series of cutters, I have not had to replace one single motor....

I know you posted that two days ago but if you haven't placed the order yet please open up your machine to see what kind of motherboard you have. The MH series cutters have come with a few different motherboards so you need to make sure you order the correct one.

Not to Hijack the thread but this same thing is happening to my 721 also, apparently my mother board was replaced by the prevois owner, my mother board is the one with the small top output daughter board (im guessing) and the motherboard below it. I too was thinking that it might be the motor, but if you say its good, then I believe that, could it be one of the transistors mounted to the chassis?? I would imagine one is for X motor and one is for Y motor right?

Levi, for troubleshooting purposes, if I switched the outputs to the motors as they are the same connector and same wire coloring could I verify that the motor is good or are they different actual pinouts?

thanks

Wayne

After reading the prior 12 pages of posts, Im guessing my problem is the motherboard/daughterboard as well

Ken, can you hook me up?

Wayne

After reading the prior 12 pages of posts, Im guessing my problem is the motherboard/daughterboard as well

Ken, can you hook me up?

Wayne

Got you on live chat now...