mommybiceps

total newbie here to say hi, read.. and ask questions

Hello all!

im about to buy a plotter cutter and here to read up on what i need and ask questions.

ive been known to buy the "small" or cheap version of what ever im buying and soon grow out of it. so this time i think im going to go w/ the 34" and grow INTO it rather than OUT of it lol...

but i have a few questions, not sure if this is a good place to ask, but ill give it a shot..

1. although ill be buying a cutter a bit bigger than i need at first, can i still put small rolls of vinyl in it? (probably dumb question). so if i just want to cut a 3" decal, i dont want to waste vinyl. what do you do? fill that area w/ other decals you might use in the future or sell so that you dont waste that space that is not being cut?

2. ive had my eye on coreldraw software, is this compatible with these UScutters? or do i need to use the software that comes with it?

3. i have no idea about graphics design, is it difficult to learn how to put images in vector format?

4. i already have a ton of cool fonts on my computer, will i be able to use those (say im using the software that comes with the cutter).

5. i was looking at rolls of vinyl on ebay, what keywords should i use for vinyl that would be used for tee shirts and which keywords for decal/car sticker type vinyl? Im not sure of the difference in what i should be looking for.

6. can the UScutter 34" trim down inkjet transfer pictures? and how would that work since they are already printed, not a vector format being sent to the cutter? i read somewhere it can be done.. but details of how wasnt given.

im totally clueless and brand spankin new to the idea, so bare with my noob questions.

I wish i knew of somewhere local i could go and learn this stuff.. i saw a chinese guy at the indoor swatmeet with a cutter plotter machine, but was afraid to ask him how to work it...

thanks to anyone who gets me started in a direction.. Juls

P.S i already have a t-shirt press and REALLY cant wait to get one of these cutters...

Hi , That is 1 heck of a 1rst post  :thumbsup: .

way too many questions for me . I'll answer the 1rst because I know the answer

#1 = yes  ,  I have a copam & I can use 1" scraps ( whatever the pinch rollers can grab minus 1/2 on each side , so I could use about 1/2 " of that 1" strip ) .On big decals I sometimes put amall decals in the "dead"  area . Vinyl 24" wide is about 50 cents per lineal foot . I hate to waste also , but cost isn't much of  factor .

The Copam has 5 pinch rollers  , all different spaced ( 1' , 2' , 5" & 6" ) that determines what width vinyl or scraps of that you can use .

Rodger