Sign in to follow this  
darkdan

Cast, Calendered, Upselling, and you. Make more $$$ per sale!

If you're not currently trying to upsell cast to almost every customer....you're missing out on a large chunk of potential income.

Cast is made just like it sounds.  It's melted down and poured (cast).  Thus it has no memory and will shrink less, maintain gloss longer, take longer before it cracks, and look better throughout it's whole life.

Calendered is made like pizza dough.  It's pressed out and stretched by rollers.  Therefore, it does have a memory and will want to shrink more.  It will also crack first and lose it's gloss sooner.

Unless it's a bad batch, cast is going to outlast and look better than calendered over it's lifetime (just because they say it lasts X years doesn't mean it will look as good that many years down the road as cast will).

Well what does this mean to you?  UPSELL!!!  With very exceptions you can try to upsell to cast.  It's not difficult.

"How much for [whatever here]?" asks the customer.

"Using our premium cast 7 year rated vinyl the price would be $70."

One of two things is going to happen, they'll either say yes or:

"Well, that's a bit more than I wanted to spend."

"I could produce it for $50 using our 5 year rated intermediate vinyl."

Congratulations, you either grossed an additional $20 or closed the sale at your normal price!  Not to mention, starting high, will allow you to adjust your price to your customer.  In sales, on average, a customer will respond "No" two to three times before saying yes.  If you start out with calendered vinyl, and they say no and you can only lower your price as an incentive and thus reduce your income.

The important thing is to be well versed in WHY the cast is better than calendered.  If they ask what the difference is and you say, "I don't know.  It costs more."  You're not going to close that sale.  Therefore, product knowledge is VERY important.  Mention it's longer life.  Not just overall life, but how it looks better longer!  Mention the higher gloss (even though some intermediates are glossy, they can't compare to high quality cast).  Mention improved dimensional stability (less shrinking).

By offering an up-sale you will increase your bottom line and close more sales because it gives you that opportunity to come in with calendered for a second price to close the sale.

Good food for thought...

One current problem now is the ecomony... people are scared to spend money to begin with.

Guest fivestar

That is an excellent post, but honestly if I'm selling a car decal, banner, coroplast, ect. I only sell calendared, but if I sell a store front or a vehicle body decal or anything else permanent then I only price cast, there's no way I'd do a storefront window or a vehicle body with calendared, yes it does shrink and gets brittle alot faster then cast.

Good food for thought...

One current problem now is the ecomony... people are scared to spend money to begin with.

Yes and no.

I've noticed most sides of my business are down, but signs are UP UP UP!  As the economy gets bad, businesses are advertising more!

And, with the economy being bad, then you should take this opportunity to try to make more per sale!  What's the worst that is going to happen?  They'll go with calendered that you usually use?  And since they already burnt up one of their "No's" before the sale.....you're more likely to close!

Interesting reading Dan,  Maybe you should come out with a book on making business in the vinyl biz?

Guest stunad, jr.

I gotta remember to do that when I sell my $1.99 decal of calvin peeing on something.  People will be pleased to hear It will last longer than 5 years. lol

I don't think its upselling when the job calls for cast.  If you are quoting a lowball price and using the wrong vinyl, Its your butt and reputation on the line.....  I see a bunch of vehicles in my area(a fleet of daycare vans, landscape pickups and a ymca bus) with the vinyl peeling off like string cheese.

I gotta remember to do that when I sell my $1.99 decal of calvin peeing on something.  People will be pleased to hear It will last longer than 5 years. lol

I don't think its upselling when the job calls for cast.  If you are quoting a lowball price and using the wrong vinyl, Its your butt and reputation on the line.....  I see a bunch of vehicles in my area(a fleet of daycare vans, landscape pickups and a ymca bus) with the vinyl peeling off like string cheese.

That's why I said up-sell to cast for the calendered stuff.  Some stuff just requires cast anyways.

With things like vehicle lettering....the best up-sell is drop-shadow or outline in a second color for improved readability.