firemalt

Mystery heat press material

So I received my used heat press the other day from NY(in a ball, what they said was a box), and it came with 2 rolls of heat press material... no brand name on the rolls, and nothing mentioned in emails or in the packaging about the brand or press instructions.

So I guess my question is:

Is there a basic setting(temp & time) to try this material out on? I bought a few cheap shirts from the dollar shirt this morning as test subjects. Any help or suggestions are welcomed! Thanks

I think the most common settings are 350 F for 15 to 20 seconds.

Thats what I use. Never had a problem. Make sure your press is in F or C.

Joe

Guest fivestar

Yes I agree with the 350 and 15 if it melts the mylar backing then go down the around 302, that's the other temp used by heatpress vinyl.

Do I need to put something in between the heat press material, and the press? If so, I guess I'll have to wait and do this another day(hopefully not though... I'm itching to try this thing out!!!).

You can use a teflon sheet. You dont need it tho. You can press it without it.

Joe

Guest fivestar

Yes just press it without any teflon sheet, then take some backing off of sign vinyl, without vinyl on it of course and lay over top of the exposed heatpress vinyl after you peel the mylar backing off for your re-press.  Always re-press the vinyl after your first press and peeling the mylar backing off for about 8 seconds or so.

Also remember to CUT IN MIRROR.  You'll mess up sometime, I promise you that.  ;D:) :)

Yes just press it without any teflon sheet, then take some backing off of sign vinyl, without vinyl on it of course and lay over top of the exposed heatpress vinyl after you peel the mylar backing off for your re-press.  Always re-press the vinyl after your first press and peeling the mylar backing off for about 8 seconds or so.

What's the benefit of doing this?

Guest fivestar

Just to be sure the edges are good and pressed since you're pulling up on them when you remove the mylar.  There's actually times I don't do it, but it's a good habit to get into.