JoeCamaro

Gel Dome Decals Anyone?

Ok, I was talking to this friend of mine who makes decals and banners and almost anything imaginable with his cutter. We were talking about decals and he started telling me about the Gel dome decals. I have seen those before but never stopped to think about them.

He was telling me there are two ways of making them, a manual way or with a machine (which for what he told me costs several thousands $).

Does anybody here Know how is this done? What machines to use? Is there anybody doing this?

I tried google and youtube but didnt find good stuff.

Below are 3 images of dome decals.

MADE_IN_ITALY_GELS_001.jpg

WhatisDoming_POS.jpg

WhatisDoming_Signage.jpg

Thank

Joe

Guest gracewriter

I hate seeing posts with zero responses, sooooo here's the first.  Hope someone comes along and enlightens us on this.  Looks like fun.

Someone posted some information about that a while back. They had posted some images of some car door handles that they did. It was carbon fiber vinyl with gel on top.

Someone posted some information about that a while back. They had posted some images of some car door handles that they did. It was carbon fiber vinyl with gel on top.

firemalt you were right! I found it. It is in a post by sciondragon and the guy who makes it is robo something.

Search is my friend.

Thank you very much!

Guest fivestar

Joe I tried to google it earlier today too and came up empty, but I really didn't have much time to search thoroughly.

Google is a terrible thing to waste. I looked at doming a few years ago, when it was new and still pretty expensive. Here are some things from right off the top on the G-spot ..... searching "doming kits" ...

http://ultradome.com/?gclid=CKOn57Kc3JMCFQUHQQodlGGQYw

http://www.mockridge.com/?gclid=CObIyIqd3JMCFRGHQAodbia3Yg

http://www.ijfisnar.com/metermix_index.htm?gclid=COHmmr6d3JMCFRJxxwodRQ0pTw

http://www.domeit.com/Doming%20Kits.htm

There are ooogles more, but this should wet your pallet. I have some manufacturers in my dittybag that dome decals for mass production stuff. Methinks that smaller items are the easier ones.

doming kits!!! I tried everything but that

Gel dome decals

Gel dome systems

Dome stickers and so on....

Thank you rebjr

Im not really thinking in mass production, but in ocassional domed decals.

JC

It's all in the semantics, Joe. Actually, having researched it before a long time ago gave me an  edge. I think that there might be some on eBay too but not sure.

Thanks Joe, just something else for me to think about!!  ;)  You won't believe the amount of different ways I've tried to go to make money....pad printing, dye sublimation, binding brochures, vinyl, etc..............I better just stick to certain things ONLY.  I'm going broke trying new things all the time!!  :thumbsup:

The domes look great, I'm looking for a UK supplier, but most websites dont have prices on.

Got me thinking about a few ideas, as long as it works out at a decent price I think I will have a go.

if you guys find a place to get the kits to do this please post them! I think this is something I going to get into. :thumbsup:

I have a book with a chapter on doming and it mentions a company called Chemque iRexdale Ontrio. I have not looked them up though.

Don

Wouldn't these be for a very select market??  I find 'regular' vinyl and heat applied to have more takers....just my 2 cents.

Actually it is a huge market. That is why so many folks selling the kits. Make everything from hat pins to bar stools. I saw a toilet seat lid with the HD Bar & Shield that had been domed, it was far out. I think that in huge items like that it is mostly polyeurathane that is highly buffed. But not sure.

All them lil' 1"x1" squares, circles, etc., that ya see on computer cases .. same-same.

Specialty decal makers have capitalized on the market and are making a killing.

'course that can be said of tons of stuff ... but, doming is cool, too bad it costs so much just to tinker with it.

I think in one of the links I posted a small kit is only $99. Not to bad.

I might pick one up  soon. If I do with post on how it works and how hard it is.

$99 is worth the investment to try it out. Not a lot of risk, as long as you get enough material to actually play around with it. Let us know if you get one and how it does.