Sign in to follow this  
David704

Can't connect my SC2 "28 to my Windows 7 computer

I recently purchased the SC2 and hooked it up by USB and I hear my computer's connection alert, but it is still not connected.

When I try to select the dropdown menu for connections there is nothing there. Do I need a special driver for my computer?

If so, where do I get it? Is there a link? 

Just now, MZ SKEETER said:

Follow the instructions 

I did, I added the driver available to no avail. 

So you went into Vinyl Master and set your cutter up?  You matched the com port number from your device manager with the com port number in Vinyl Master?  They must match.  Vinyl cutters are not plug and play and to not install like a printer. 

7 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Follow the instructions 

OK I went to the support page as well and I saw no drivers tab there at all. That is why I asked if you could assist with the link. I am sorry for not already thanking you for your time too. 

4 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

So you went into Vinyl Master and set your cutter up?  You matched the com port number from your device manager with the com port number in Vinyl Master?  They must match.  Vinyl cutters are not plug and play and to not install like a printer. 

I couldn't match the com port number. I use USB plug and play because I have no additional port on my computer to set it up the other way. 

USB is not plug and play.   A vinyl cutter is not a printer.  Those cutters do not have true USB.  You have a com port number when you downloaded the driver, you must extract it and run it. Then it assigns a com port number to your computer. 

4 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Follow the instructions

And they should have a video for if your cutter doesn't move as well. LOL 

Did you download this driver?  This is the driver that gives you a com port number.  It starts downloading in the lower left corner on google when you click on it.  Extract it and run it, Then reboot your computer. It will show up in device manger, when you plug the vinyl cutter in. 

http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Drivers/cdm20828_setup_windows.exe

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Follow the instructions 

Thank You sooooo much. I figured everything out. Have a continued blessed Mother's Day. 

3 minutes ago, David704 said:

Thank You sooooo much. I figured everything out. Have a continued blessed Mother's Day. 

Great, glad it worked out.  Now before you go setting up your blade depth. Don't go follow some instructions on using a credit card to set the blade depth. That is entirely wrong. And the myth just won't die.  This is the correct was to set the blade depth. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

Thank You:D

• Like 1

Figured I would post in this thread since I am having the same exact issue as the OP.  I have a new SC2 28" and a windows 7 laptop.  I have been messing around with the Vinyl Master Cut program for a couple of weeks now (designing stuff and all).  Last night I hooked up the cutter but the vinyl spooler says it cant detect the device.  The COM3 in port name is greyed out and says not connected.  Under device manager I don't have anything that says 'ports'.  I downloaded the driver from above that MZ SKEETER said gives the port number, but still nothing.  As far as I know I have the latest update, V4.2.  Maybe I'm in over my head with this thing, as  I am NOT a computer person.  Didn't figure I'd have so much computer setup to do.  TIA for any and all help