timbo6470

cardboard cutting? yes or No

Can anyone let m knw if you can cut cardboard on the refine series of cutters? I not talking really thick carboard. Myabe the thickness of a standard busines card or slightly thinner. I need to do some mockups for a client and was hoping the cutter could cut me out some intricate shapes on cardboard.

thanks

I have a Pcut... but I cut card stock all the time. Most business cards and the card stock I use is .010" thick.

I would think the Refine could cut it too.

I have a Pcut... but I cut card stock all the time. Most business cards and the card stock I use is .010" thick.

I would think the Refine could cut it too.

Popeye, what do you use for backing when you cut?

I tried using a backing to start with and it never really worked well... I don't use a backing now, I just set the blade so it just barley cuts through and I've gotten excellent results.

I was using a couple strips of masking tape over the cutting strip to protect it... that worked pretty well but I wanted something better. Picked up some UHMW tape and that seems to be holding up very well.

I tried using a backing to start with and it never really worked well... I don't use a backing now, I just set the blade so it just barley cuts through and I've gotten excellent results.

I was using a couple strips of masking tape over the cutting strip to protect it... that worked pretty well but I wanted something better. Picked up some UHMW tape and that seems to be holding up very well.

Thanks, I will give it a try. My wife does stamping and I though it would be cool to do cards with cutouts or different shapes.

thanks for the advice all! Im going to give it a try tomorrow and let you kno how it goes. I had another tip from someone saying that when they cut cardboard they put a bit of the backing from some old vinyl on the back of the cardboard to prevent damage to the cutting strip. They said that they use a bit of low tak spray adhesive to make it stick nicely to the cardboard. I will keep you posted tomorrow. Can anyone give any advice as to what pressure to set the knife to? I was thinking 170???

Tim