Sign in to follow this  
ceb5

Cutting small letters

I should have asked the specs on this before I bought it, but will the 721 cut small letters? I'am trying to cut some 10mm high letters with poor results. I have tried the slow cut speed and lower force as suggested by the manual, tried the blade at the right height for cutting and also lower then it should be. My problem always seems to be that it is not completely cutting out the letter. There is always small places, especially on O and E that doesn't cut and when you pull the vinyl off it pulls the letter with it no matter how careful you are, or you distort the letters trying to hold them in place.

I'am using artcut that came with it and have not been able to find any settings that would help with this, does anyone have any better ideas?

I don't use artcut.But I can tell you it's not the cutter.The cutter only cuts the commands that are sent to the cutter.In flexisign there are settings that allow you to overlap your cuts,and even make multiple passes with the cutter.The picture I posted shows some vinyls I cut.The lettering on the white vinyls is just a little bit less than a quarter of an inch.The lettering on the black is right at a half an inch.I wish I could tell you where to locate the advanced settings in artcut,but I am not familiar with that program at all.It could be in the modem commands.But I don't want to start telling you where to look.I have problems with small letters,but the problem is in the weeding of the inner parts of the o's,p's,r's and such.It's not because the cutter doesn't cut the letters.It's because I'm old and half blind and I tend to want to weed it faster than I should.Maybe someone on the board will post on how to find those settings.(hint,hint).

Bill

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks for the reply, glad to hear that its not the cutter. Hopefully someone else will know what settings in artcut that I need to adjust.

Hello, if you are in Artcut you can click on "help" and then "index for help" where there are 15 chapters that describe the details of all the options and functions in the Artcut program. The search feature does not seem to work very well but the chapters are pretty good at describing what you can do with the program, and not to lengthy to read. Just keep in mind that this is a basic cutting program that we bundle for free with the plotter just to get people started. Most customers I have talked to use Signcut or Flexi which will have more advanced features like Bill has described. You might try looking at the demo software that someone posted a link to in this forum

http://uscutter.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2&topic=66.0

It looks like you can download a free trial of that so you might see if it does a better job at cutting your letters. You might also try using different vinyl. I know there are lots of types available so it is possible that a different type of vinyl might cut better for your purposes.