Sign in to follow this  
Knobhill

Do not install WindowsXP SP3

There are rising issues with the latest service pack (SP3) for Windows XP released this week. I'd advise waiting at least a couple weeks before installing. Let microsoft work out the bugs that should have been fixed in beta testing. This is my personal opinion and not related to USCutter or it's staff.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-XP-SP3,5334.html

My personal opinion ... and experience.

1) MS released SP3, and then pulled it back off line for a couple of days before reissuing it.

2) I am an unofficial employee of a 'puter shop, the owner specializes in being the IT guy for more than 60 medium size companies in middle TN. We have installed more than 100 SP-3's since it's release without a hitch.

I have installed it on 5 of my own personal computers (loads of granchillun's) and no problems.

No argument that MS has a history of release and worry about the consequences later. But, there are a lot of folks out there who draw and shoot at everything MS does, it's easy to pick anything apart and shoot it full of holes. Now, I am no lover of MS, I wish that MAC would come off there high horse, or that more folks would look at Linux and that more suppliers would support open source.

Speaking of MAC, the boss looked at the specs on a $2000 MAC, everything in it is Intel and/or pc components and he priced item for item and can build it for $700 including the MAC O/S.

Guest fivestar

I have it installed on probably 15-20 AMD machines as that is all I recommend and it hasn't hiccuped at all.  Of course I love vista too.  :thumbsup::angel:;D

That's all we build as well .. AMD! Danged good processors. The boss is liking VISTA since SP1 came out, but we are still not building any new ones with VISTA unless the buyer demands it. But, once we explain that MS has been planning on introducing Windows 7 in 2010, but is now pushing to release it in 2009, makes no sense to buy VISTA.

This news came from someone in microsoft.  Ignore it or not.  i would not of posted this if I didn't see it for myself.

Guest fivestar

There's always going to be issues with software, if you know what you're doing you can figure it out.

Guest Terry

Ya, we have XP and XP PRO here. But I have seen a lot of people with XP Pro download SP2 and lose everything, but never on XP home. I never had a problem on either one myself. But I have notice it was mostly people with XP Pro that had AMD 64 bit most things are 32 bit, so they got messed up. Not sure how to explain the update with xp pro and 64 bit but you computer people should know what I'm talking about.

The IT guy for my brother;s hotel chain sent out an email to everyone,saying he was halting the install of SP3 because of the problems. The endless re-boot cycle seemed to be the worst. We are talking hundreds of computers here.. all XP Pro.

My best friend is a developer for IBM...he gave the same advice..as he always does...never install a windows service pack when it first comes out.

Personally, I don't want to be the one in a hundred whom it screws up.I don't have en entire day to spare,reinstalling windows and everythig else...and it IS an all day job.

Better to err on the side of caution.

BannerrJ .. Only an all day job if ou don't back up your drivers .... and don't count your proggies over and above the what comes with the OS. You are correct about erring on the side of caution.

It seems tho, these days no matter who is putting out an update to whatever, that there is always some little fly in the pie .......

BannerrJ .. Only an all day job if ou don't back up your drivers .... and don't count your proggies over and above the what comes with the OS. You are correct about erring on the side of caution.

It seems tho, these days no matter who is putting out an update to whatever, that there is always some little fly in the pie .......

that's what I meant...reinstalling the OS plus all of my programs. My files are backed up on external and slave drives. Then there is FINDING the install discs. I've moved since the last install.

I know that feeling all too well. I've got programs that I forget I've got until I reload, and soon as I do I come up with a need, and ......

And then there are the folks who come in for a reload and want all of their proggies saved and don't have any discs, can't find the serial numbers and wonder why we can't do that .. after all, it should be simple .. LOL.

I back up everybody's system and keep it for 30 days. I am going to start using one of the proggies I have to make a disc image of everydrive that I, that wreloaday I can restore it the individual programs, or so I'v e been told. Gotta study the proggie a lil' more.

hmmm,,,thanks for the tip,installed sp3 and now i have the "step child on crack" laughing at me and giving me grief!!! now what .....shoot the little pr@#$ck ?any advice?

Guest fivestar

Reboot and hit the F8 key, go into safe mode then click start......control panel..........add/remove programs......and see if you can't uninstall SP3.  I haven't tried it yet to see if it there to unistall but it should be.  BTW, what exactly is it doing?

Double that last question, what is it doing? Before you try to ditch it, best to fix it.

Guest Terry

didn't read all this, but you can go back to last known good config.

If you can boot to windows normally or in safe mode you should be able to uninstall the service pack, but it still messes up your OS a bit. Need to do some cleaning afterwards. Some programs may not work propery again either way.