tooler82

Combine, merge, or flatten

Is there anyway in FlexiSign to combine the Eagle Rising and the CW4 rank where there won't be any of the overlapping showing? I'm trying to engrave this but it's going to keep engraving the detail in the eagle behind the rank.

post-80805-0-86857500-1433511466_thumb.j

CW4 Bailey.eps

in Illustrator I used the pathfinder tools to "open" up the selection. Took about 10 minutes total ;D  

They won't get me Illustrator because they went to this Cloud stuff and the government doesn't like to be charged on a credit card monthly or whatever. So I'm stuck with FlexiSign. I'll be sure to post the engraving when it's done to show you. Thanks.

ah I gotcha. Well I'm here to help if you ever need! Its always good to get help on this forum when I need so what better way to contribute than paying forward what others do for me.

• Like 3

Yes there is.  It's in the Combine tool bar and it's called remove overlap.

However it can be tricky to use, especially with your EPS file.  That file has many layers that need to be sorted out. 

Once  you get the file down to two layers you group each layer together, select both layers and click on the remove overlap icon.

Now it's going to trim the bottom layer right back to the upper layer. there won't be a gap between the layers like in Moody Blue's version.  For that you'll have put an outline around the rank insignia, remove overlap and then remove the outline.

This is a powerful program and if you really want to master it I suggest that you pick up  Mark Rugan's tutorial videos. They are well worth looking into. 

• Like 1

I know in Photoshop how to do layers, but I don't know how to get this image down to 2 layers in FlexiSign.

I got it! Thanks a lot. I copied the 2 parts I wanted to work with in a new window. Pasted them, selected the Eagle, then the CW4 rank, and cut out. Thanks Doug for explaining how to do it in FlexiSign.

Your welcome. 

I was just sitting here trying to put together a little visual explanation.  But if you got it that's great.

There are a lot of tool that Flexi offers that I use and they are accessible through the View  then click Toolbars. 

You have space on your desktop to place them.  I use Group, Align, Combine, Order and Path Edit.

Once you click the check box to choose a toolbar it will place it on the desktop.  You can then just grab it with your mouse and drag it to the borders.

Here is my desktop

post-24657-0-04550100-1434033709_thumb.j

• Like 1