Sign in to follow this  
TandysGraphics

Wavy/jagged cuts on GX-24

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a second hand gx-24 from craigslist hoping to replace my uscutter sc, but only been having problems.

Off the bat, the USB port was broken (maybe fixable if I try to solder on a new usb connector port on the main board), so I've been using a keyspan + null serial cable to cut from the machine.

It cuts great and all, but the only issue is that I am getting occasional wavy or jagged-y cuts when it is doing lines (horizontal, diagonal, vertical).

I tried using a new clean cut blade, new blade holder, replace cutting strip, and same issue. Also tried oiling the blade holder bearing and na-da.

My Uscutter SC cuts the same design perfect, I even tried the blade holder from that and same issue. I am totally lost to what the issue could be.

I am using SCALP to cut using uscutter as my default plotter settings as the gx-24 setting in SCALP only detects USB. Also tried roland's cut studio and same issue.

Also another issue is that I would hardly need any pressure on the uscutter sc (like 40) while on the gx I need about 70-80 with the same blade holder and depth. Normal? I am running the same speed on both machines, 200mm/s.

Any ideas?

What ever you do,Do not introduce non specific oil or chemicles into the mechanism. Its not a lubrication problem.

Try to aproach this as an engineer and just observe. Regarding the usb Module, that part can be replaced moe easily and succesfuly than soldering.

What ever you do,Do not introduce non specific oil or chemicles into the mechanism. Its not a lubrication problem.

Try to aproach this as an engineer and just observe. Regarding the usb Module, that part can be replaced moe easily and succesfuly than soldering.

we have solved many a members problems with 3-1 oil, sewing machine, reel or any light oil even some with graphite to help the blade spin freely as the holder dries out and it catches a little.   please elaborate on the not oiling as I have done it in many cutters over the 8 years I have been doing this . . . I know I am a relative newbie but many many people have solved the problem doing this.  I only do it when a problem occurs and have never had to do it more than once every year or two but looking for your insight on this.

• Like 1

My comment was intended to the person having trouble with the new cutter. I appreciate your succesess in diagnosis and remedies.

a newbie without your expierience should probably call uscutter support and culture a diologue to become fluent in the operation of his or her cutter.

your knowledge of which lubricants and what application comes from a expierience and work history that you draw from to solve problems.

the person I focused my comment towards did not demonstrate or indicate your level of expierience, so I encouraged caution before proceeding.

I watched a guy with a brand new Bridge saw (75.000$) rake the cutting head with no blade accross the concrete cutting bed beause he didnt know or wasnt sure.

For me , Im carefull not to give advice in advance of other steps to resolve problems.

My comment was intended to the person having trouble with the new cutter. I appreciate your succesess in diagnosis and remedies.

a newbie without your expierience should probably call uscutter support and culture a diologue to become fluent in the operation of his or her cutter.

your knowledge of which lubricants and what application comes from a expierience and work history that you draw from to solve problems.

the person I focused my comment towards did not demonstrate or indicate your level of expierience, so I encouraged caution before proceeding.

I watched a guy with a brand new Bridge saw (75.000$) rake the cutting head with no blade accross the concrete cutting bed beause he didnt know or wasnt sure.

For me , Im carefull not to give advice in advance of other steps to resolve problems.

Heck just placed an order from just up the mountain from you yesterday! Spent a week there 3 years ago during the 4th of July!