Sign in to follow this  
kenimes

Cuts not completing....

"   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have both a refine 721 and pcut 630 cutter, I was having the same problem with the cutters not completing the cuts, freezing and locking up, loosing communication with the cutter etc.....

I was using both cutters on usb and tried the usb to serial converters with no luck. When the cutters did complete the cuts they worked great so I was pretty sure that there was no problems with the cutters...

Here is what I did to solve the problem, both of the computers I was using the cutters on were laptops with only usb connections, no serial or parallel ports......One had both a PCMCIA slot and expresscard slot the other one only had an expresscard slot, one is running XP and the other Vista.....I installed a PCMCIA to serial port card and an expresscard to serial port card to give me a db9 serial port on both computers and connected the cutters to the serial ports on both computers and to date both cutters have worked flawlessly.....

Most laptops are going to have some type of expansion slot either PCMCIA or expresscard, just be sure to get the correct card for your machine so it fits and works correctly.

I think what was causing my problems is that I was overloading the usb bus and just didnt have enough power to run everything at the same time (even using powered usb hubs).

Cant guarantee that this will solve all problems but it sure took care of mine.....

I got both cards from newegg.com.....

Best of Luck..

Dale  "

Dale,

Have you learned anything more about the USB situation? I am wondering if a USB 2 would make a difference. I just ordered my express card to parallel port. I am hoping this resolves the issue for me as well. So far I am happy with my plotter, but when mirroring an image for a shirt run, it's giving me issues.

Thanks for your advise.