lawman12

What is this called and how do you do it

How can I take a pic of someone and do this to it? see attached pics

I am posting these as an example of what I am looking to do

TIA,

Bruce

post-15550-0-21955200-1330956953.gif

post-15550-0-68275500-1330956953.jpeg

That looks like something that was created by hand. If you don't have the artistic skill to do something like that, your best bet would probably be to open your source image in a raster editing program (Gimp is what I use) and reduce the color depth down to 2 or 3 colors. If it looks unrecognizable at this point, don't bother with the next step. Once you have a 2 color source image that looks good, import it into your favorite vector graphics software (I like Inkscape) and use the tracing function. You'll probably end up with something that's too complicated to cut as is, but with some manual tweaking, it could probably do what you want.

I have wanted to do this for along time also have a few great ideas for things but never really looked into it just sort of assumed it was over my head. I found this tutorial on how to do it in Illustrator. I read through a few steps and will give it a shot this weekend when I have time.....

http://vector.tutsplus.com/tutorials/illustration/tracing-a-vector-face-from-a-reference-photo/

I am sure most of the Illustrator people already know this..... Roxanne I believe uses Illustrator for everything so she may already know this and have more insight but I am for sure going to mess with this since I never use Illustrator for anything more then an icon on my desktop....... I know this isn't exactly what we want to achieve for a solid one color cut but I am sure it won't take much more to make it a solid color vector.