Sign in to follow this  
Kruzad3r

Graphtec CE5000 Bundle

Hello everyone, I'm new around here and this is actually my first post. I'm a noob when it comes to vinyl graphics but have been doing a lot of research in the past few months.

I've been going back and forth on what vinyl cutter I want to buy, mainly between the cheaper cutters that USCutter provides. However, I recently started looking at the Graphtec CE5000 bundle that comes with a lot of other items I was going to have to buy anyways. From what I understand Graphtec and Roland cutters are like night and day better compared to the other vinyl cutters that are available.

Now my first question is, is this bundle worth it? Is it a good place for someone to start? My intentions are to do this as a hobby at first but I have a strong desire to turn it into a business if I end up enjoying it and feel that I can be successful at it.

My main question I want to know though is whether or not this bundle is available in the long term or is it a special that is going on for a limited time only. I want to wait until March to make my purchase but I am worried that the bundle won't be available at that time.

there is no guarantee that bundle will be available in March. Or even next week. Is it worth buying the bundle? Go price check others selling the Graphtec, and see what the price of the cutter alone is.. You can find the prices everywhere... Look at the prices for the stuff with the bundle. Add it up... After that... is it worth it to you??? It all depends on what you are wanting it for. and going to use it for... others may have no need for the extras, may already have them,,

Good questions. I bought a cheap MH721 about 2 years ago and have had that time to learn the ins and outs of the trade. I wouldn't purchase the cheap cutter again as I think it is very marginal. Poor cuts, Crazy static problems that cause all sorts of troubles and noisy.

I am eying the same cutter. I exclusively use Coreldraw for design and have been a dedicated Corel user for since version 2. I think it is the gold standard for design. I export to FlexiStarter for cutting.

I am going to attempt to sell my cutter with 'bundle' for about 400-500 and keep the Graphtec. All the research I can find strongly recommends it.

As far as making a business out of it, I don't know if you could make a decent living at it. I think competition and part timers like me really put pressures on margins.

Good luck

Mike

there is no guarantee that bundle will be available in March. Or even next week. Is it worth buying the bundle? Go price check others selling the Graphtec, and see what the price of the cutter alone is.. You can find the prices everywhere... Look at the prices for the stuff with the bundle. Add it up... After that... is it worth it to you??? It all depends on what you are wanting it for. and going to use it for... others may have no need for the extras, may already have them,,

I've added it up, and it seems to be worth it. Most of the extras are things that I already had on my "to buy" list. I guess I was just looking for some reassurance on my decision from people in the industry. Thank you for your quick reply, it is appreciated.

Good questions. I bought a cheap MH721 about 2 years ago and have had that time to learn the ins and outs of the trade. I wouldn't purchase the cheap cutter again as I think it is very marginal. Poor cuts, Crazy static problems that cause all sorts of troubles and noisy.

I am eying the same cutter. I exclusively use Coreldraw for design and have been a dedicated Corel user for since version 2. I think it is the gold standard for design. I export to FlexiStarter for cutting.

I am going to attempt to sell my cutter with 'bundle' for about 400-500 and keep the Graphtec. All the research I can find strongly recommends it.

As far as making a business out of it, I don't know if you could make a decent living at it. I think competition and part timers like me really put pressures on margins.

Good luck

Mike

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess when I say business I don't necessarily mean that would be my main source of income. From my understanding one of the main differences between a business and a hobby is whether or not there is income (or perhaps it's profit), at least from the IRS's point of view, but this is for a different discussion.

Either way, I think it's probably just better to go with a graphtec and eliminate some of the stresses that seem to surround a lot of the cheaper cutters.

Good luck

Mike

I have to disagree with you Mike on making a living out of it. I worked 30 years at a factory, that closed and went south to Mexico, and at the age of 56, and with no graphic design knowledge, and never even owned Illustrator or used it, or even knew what a vinyl cutter was. I started my own online business in 2006 . I have been a Powerseller and also since they started, Top Rated seller on EBAY, and make a very good living out of it. It's like any job, if your not going to apply yourself, then FIRE yourself. It's not for you. People address challenges differently. I love a challenge. Bring it on. Some fail, some achieve. How bad to you want it?? I wanted it to support me. and it has, very nicely, but I built my own business, not somebody doing it for me. And I still work at building it everyday...5 years later.

• Like 1

I have to disagree with you Mike on making a living out of it. I worked 30 years at a factory, that closed and went south to Mexico, and at the age of 56, and with no graphic design knowledge, and never even owned Illustrator or used it, or even knew what a vinyl cutter was. I started my own online business in 2006 . I have been a Powerseller and also since they started, Top Rated seller on EBAY, and make a very good living out of it.

You have a good point and a different business model than I was thinking of. I was thinking of a more traditional store front, sign and graphics business rather than an e-business. I'm happy for you and other old guys - like me - that are creative and imaginative enough to re-invent themselves. I've worked in Banking for 37 years and enjoy doing things that are polar opposites of what I do all day. Keep up the good work.

Mike

• Like 1