devnsmom

Decals and Wax

I tried to put a decal on a truck today and before I could even get the decal on my tape wouldn't stick... I told the customer to try and wash the truck with dawn soap... is that right?

I tried to put a decal on a truck today and before I could even get the decal on my tape wouldn't stick... I told the customer to try and wash the truck with dawn soap... is that right?

i'm not sure its the wax that is causing the tape not to stick... when i did my own vinyl i waxed the hell out of the car as it was brand new and i knew the vinyl would be there for a while. i wanted to ensure that it would be able to be removed without damaging the paint. after ~3 years it was still perfect, but we were able to remove it very easily with no residue or paint damage. i would like to think that it is, in part, because of the wax protection. i've suggested waxing the paint before vinyl application many times with no ill effects to my knowledge.

dawn soap will clean the truck, but it will take some of the wax off as well. if the customer is ok with that, i'd say go for it. it'll probably get whatever problematic residue off of the paint. but they may need to wax the car again when its finished, because there will be little protection of the paint left after washing. i would try a wax-safe cleaner first.

however, if they had used some crazy wax that i'm not familiar with, maybe it is causing the problem?

I'm not sure, I just know that being my first time and the tape not sticking, I didn't want to attempt it and not be successful at it...

if there is any kind of "diamond gloss" or other silicon based coating it has to come off.

So I have been told.

Would Rapid tack take off the film enough???

All you need to do is wipe it with rapid tac 1 or 2. It's a application fluid as well as a cleaner for wax, oil and grease.

Dish soap will work in a pinch, Rapid Tac is better. How old is your material? Aged out material could be the culprit also.

Dish soap will work in a pinch, Rapid Tac is better. How old is your material? Aged out material could be the culprit also.

i think the rapid tac solution has alcohol in it, which would take any residue off, but it will also take the wax off. as long as you inform the customer that he/she may have to prep/wax the paint again when you're finished, that should work well.