Sign in to follow this  
lcurle

MH-871 & Oracal 651

Im sure this has been beat to death here, but I have been lurking for a while and reading up on static issues. I have a 30" cutter, using inly Oracal vinyl.  The cutters great for 1 year, now I am starting to have major issues when cutting long runs.  My cutter sits on a tile floor, and I have ran some wire from the bottom of the cover to the stand where I have sanded down the paint to metal and connected that, I have additionally taken another wire from the vinyl rollers and have grounded that down to a water pipe 12" away.  The graphic I am currently trying to cut and have wasted about 10 yard of vinyl on, it 22' long with 20" tall letters.  It cutter will be going good for a while and either, A) stop cutting and just sit there, :) reset itself like someone hit the reset button, C) Sign Blazer will stop outputting to cutter, D) All the lights come on and it will go into system mode, E) go hay wire and start cutting through the vinyl while random characters are displayed on the LCD screen.

I am running through a USB cable, not a  computer issue, I am about 10 seconds away from throwing this POS out the window and forgetting all about vinyl.  I am not ready to spend $4k on a Roland or Graphtec yet.  Any advice? Tech support guys don't know, they want me to buy a new one, go figure.

Lee

Could be the USB. Have you ever cut anything that long before? I know my cutter can connect via USB or serial port. I would see if you can connect via serial port as some of what your describing sounds like there isn't enough memory in the cutter to finish the cut.

Normally the output from the software will pause, when the cutter catches up it will send it out to the cutter.  Yes I have cut large jobs like this before.

trying to cut a 10x10 image now, no luck same problems, Memory would make sense for larger images, but with this small one...unsure.

You can get alot of static from the vinyl.   Some people spray Static Guard, around cutter,   and wipe their vinyl with Bounce dryer sheets.  Put a sheet inside their roll.   Still best on Serial cable,.  

I put masking tape down on the cutter from and back. Also added an addition ground wire from the front of the unit and attached that to the rollers near the vinyl.  Ran through and it cut the smaller graphic fine.

I had the same issue with my MH-871 only it got worse.

Grounding the unit didn't help.

Worked great on small stuff and then went to cut a 9 foot long graffic and it stopped about 5 feet into it.

Reset the cutter and started over, this time it started cutting all kinds of lines and ruined the vinyl again (blade would not lift).

Replaced the Z Axis chip and tried again only this time I wiped the vinyl down with a dryer sheet and put the sheet inside the roll of vinyl and it worked fine.

Definately a lot of static is created when the cutter is unrolling the vinyl.