Sign in to follow this  
Sheetmetal Pete

Etching pricing help

I haven't been on here in a while.  I'm sort of stumped on this one - baby plaques (or similar).

This particular one was made for a friend as a gift but I immediately received interest from others.  The blank is a 3/4" clear plastic (poly?) that has been cut to size (6x8), had the edges routed and flamed smooth.  I recognize that perhaps this wouldn't demand the same money one made from glass would but I get the plastic blanks from a friend who charges me little or nothing.

So, two questions come to mind.  First, would you take into account what I'm paying (or not paying) for blanks in the pricing?  Second, what would you sell them for?

Thanks!

post-5377-12986565962426_thumb.jpg

post-5377-12986565975861_thumb.jpg

I think you should apply the advantage you have to get materials for cheap or free . That will give you an edge over the competition . IF that supply ends , then you adjust your price to the new costs . Especially during this economic slump , any advantage can make all the difference in the world to be successful . You might want to think of selling some blanks if you have access to that many . I would buy some ready to etch . Do they scratch easy ?

I wouldn't say they're easily scratched but it's more likely to occur than with glass.  I treat them carefully because they don't come masked.  I figure that I'm far more likely to scratch them while etching it than my customer having it sit on a shelf.

I'm not sitting on a stockpile of these.  He usually makes them as I need them - which hasn't been frequent so far.  Fortunately he makes them from drops from other projects so it's just labor in any costs associated with him.  I'll ask if he's interested in selling some outright.

Oh yah, if it helps anyone else in answering my question(s), the figure that popped into my head originally was $60/each.  Would that be too much?  Not enough?

Like rodger said I'd keep the cost down but have to question pricing without including something for the blanks.

If you sold them for $10 when you started and then ended up having to pay for the blanks later, some people may shy away at a major price increase.

ie, I'd at least add something for the blanks

I would think you could sell some for $60 , but I think most people would think it was a great product & not buy it . I think selling at places where impulse buying comes into effect like auctions , fairs , races etc could support your price . Flea markets are filled with people looking for a bargain , so competitive ( cheap ) prices are needed there most of the time . I always think about what I would pay for something . I am frugal with most things , but like most people things to do with grandchildren etc ... especially custom personal things . Still i think $20 would be the max I would pay . I think the etched mugs I make are max priced at $10 .

we get 20.00 for all our custom dollar store beer mugs and if i got them for free they would still be 20.00 i have to go get them keep them in stock do the lat out and then etch it

depends on the customer base & hpw many you want to sell . Also depends on how many customers shop on e-bay ... everything is cut rate priced on there .