Real or vinyl? I assume vinyl since this is a vinyl forum, if real tell them you can do it in a couple of years and start practicing with the hairy brush now!

Vinyl stripes are real too.  I know what you meant, though.

If you are talking vinyl pinstripes I have a couple of pointers.  Use 3M stripes - the ones I use the most are 723XX where the 723 is the size - one wider and one narrow stripe - and the XX is the color number.

I did a search and here is a .pdf of an old color chart - mostly unchanged - I wouldn't rely on picking a color from it on a computer monitor, but it gives an idea what the options are for the sizes.

http://www1.futureelectronics.com/doc/3M-STATIC%20CONTROL%20SOLUTIONS/740.pdf

Prep the area just like you would any substrate, but watch for any goofy stuff car owners spray on their paint.  Wax, armorall (I hate that stuff) tire treatment (silicone goop yuk!) and if needed use a stronger cleaner to get a clean surface so the stripes will stay

Work in the shade - if the paint is too hot you will have problems adjusting the placement of the stripe.

Next you are better off doing the whole side all at once.  

The important thing is to have a smooth line from front to back.  You want the two sides to match - even though you don't see them both at once.  Here is a video that should help.  One thing - I usually put he wider stripe on top - and pull it over the narrow lower stripe - I think it makes the tip more secure and looks neater - IMHO.

And this is a video of a guy taking off a racing stripe - played in reverse.  Pretty entertaining - especially if you have done one of these yourself.

Good luck - if you have questions I'll tryand help if I can.

-Mike

thanks a lot for all the info. Mars.  The video and the color charts are just what I needed.  Once again this forum has helped me through a tough spot.  One more question......how much would you charge??  One is a Dodge Ram, the other is a GMC Sierra both about the same size.  Thanks once again!!!

You are very welcome - glad to help.

My basic pinstripe starts at $75 retail.  I offer inline graphics (small designs I put on the back end of the pinstripe) for an additional charge of $15 and up.  Some people like to have their name on the doors - that's 15.00 too.  If you don't have the matching vinyl for the inline or names you will probably spend more getting the vinyl for the job than my price - so research it before offering to do them.

Good luck

-Mike

how much would you charge for the install....I hope more than $75.  That is just for the striping...correct?

The roll of pinstriping is 150' - enough for 4 to 5 vehicles - my cost per vehicle is under $3.  I get the vehicle brought to me for a basic $75 stripe takes me 6 to 10 minutes.  I work for auto dealers on location all day long - so this is my pricing installed.  Odds are you can price it for whatever you want and should probably charge more since it will take you a little longer to do them just starting out.

-Mike