tinaski

how cut throat is vinyl - sign - tshirt shops

Just wondering whats everyone experience with other shops. I mean can you go to a rival buisness and ask for help? Can you ask for supplies? Are they willing to help? Looking for answers to both home buissness and store front buisness.

Us if a store front buissness asked for our help with desings or supplies we prob would be a little more hesitant vers a home buisness and it would also matter who it's for customer.

I'm just courious on everyone else opintion.

The reason I'm asking is most people here know we don't use windows we use linux for everything and I have been testing some cutting software out for 2 diffrent people. 2 diffrent programs and all we have for hardware is 2 graphtecs and wondering if anyone mear us would like to get together and do some testing on diffrent cutters diffrent models. I would like to have a compatibility list

If you look around on other design forums you will see that most of them, at least a few years ago did not give out much information a as far as actually using a cutter. When this forum started, we tried helping not only setting the cutters up, but helping people to learn the steps needed to make money with their cutter. I don't try to communicate with the local shops here. But it's only because I prefer to get the help or supplies I need from other sources. I think all semi large towns have the same types of graphic designers though. Some who would offer help. And those who would try to find your customers and undercut you to get their business.

Guest kenya

I haven't had any problems with my competition.

I walked right into their shops & introduced myself & let them know that I'm here & if they need anything & I have it available, it's theirs.

They have called me & I have called them when in a pinch.

We don't make a habit of it, but it's nice to know that we can help each other when it's really needed.  

I have not come across one person that feels that I'm a threat.  :thumbsup:

I'm just getting started , but it varies from shop to shop here. One shop will send me work if they don't have time to meet the deadline on when a customer needs it. That's really nice. Another shop will price gough me at least 500 percent  from thier price on something I need on the spur of the moment. They are paying really high rent on thier shop though and I understand why they have to do that.

Tried to go into my local guy introduced myself told him I had a job that was to big for me, offered it to him. He looked me like I was crazy and told me he wasnt interested. Guess he makes to much money

We have better luck with folks we meet on the forums that are local than just walking in to a shop that is direct competition.

i know what ya mean - i have met some good friends on here and on a linux site that i am on also - it just seams like too many people (local business) don't have time to help and ask for help.

we use Linux and its based on free free free free free ----

and that is how the forums there are - very helpful and people there dont ask for anything in return - ya i know you cant give everything away but if someone needs some advice - or is in a pinch - why not - that is what is keeping this forum up right ?

i mean if everyone here was askin for help and no one gave it it would die - i try to help when i can - i am very good at vectorizing not so good at fonts so its some exchange there -

i was just kinda wondering what everyone else has came across

___________o by the way - we have a home office / shop --- we don't have a store front - makes a huge difference on giving a quote to someone  so far for local work we have not been under bid - we don't have all the extra expenses 

Guest Schramm

My general business practice:  Never feed the compitition...

it really is that simple!!!

Guest Schramm

We have better luck with folks we meet on the forums that are local than just walking in to a shop that is direct competition.

Internet friends are just that, I mean if you know the saying, "know your compition" by reading there posts you know if they are compitition at all.  In the glass business that I am in I was the new guy about 2 years ago.  Thing is I knew my compitition prior to starting my business and I did work for them out of my little shop.  When ever I am going to do anything, I start with a plan and that does include a meet a greet with the main competitors.  I have no local compitition at all but then again there is only about 5 people that make antique mirror glass in the US and I am definatly the newest.  Most other companies that carry it buy from us (one of the 5) or overseas (China). 

In the sign market it is based on price as the conception is that everyone offers the same service.  In my business it is a lot different, you have to be 100% versitile and you have to know your compitions samples and yours have to be 100% different.  Price doesnt play as much a factor as if the client likes it, the client buys it reguardless of the cost!  In order to be different then all my compition I decided to offer services with my glass such as fabrication, etching and sandblasting (none of them do any of that).  I also offer layout and design which none of them do either.  I am like the mom and pop store -vs- the big box store.  My ideas work very well as most people do not want to buy a full sheet of glass when they only need 12 sf, then have the full sheet sent to another person to have it cut (not knowing what to do with the rest), then yet another for beveling and another for etching.  My business offers it all and though it is a circus here alot over the last 2 years I have established a way to get my compitition to come to me for many of my services.

Why I am telling you this is 2 fold...  While it is great for a walk in meet and greet, you both need to run your business in a direction which is your own.  Meaning this, you need to do the unusual, take on the jobs that are harder and dont pay as well and work with them (compitition) when they need your help.  Keep in mind to keep your ideas to yourself as that is what makes you unique but work with them as together you are stronger then you are apart.  Many competitors may start out that way but in the end become 1 good working company.  Sorry to ramble and I hope it made scense!