Sign in to follow this  
Misti J

Vinyl not staying aligned when cutting

Hello... I am still a newbie... So i have a lot to learn. I just started doing vinyl back in July. I am NOT a graphic designer, so i am still teaching myself how to use to software. I do, what i like to call, Housewife quotes...the cute stuff, like Uppercase Living. However I just started working on a pretty big Corporate Job. When i first got my cutter, it took awhile to even understand how to get started. And pardon my ignorance, but the Black long things that came with it, I think it was to maybe hold the vinly, i couldnt figure out how to use that so i never have. Now i have no clue where they even are at this point. We just moved...

Okay but the problem i just started having tonight while doing a 15"x99" quote tonight is that it wont stay aligned at all. So my letters started printing outside the workspace outline... I printed two letters and then just quit. How, without a stand, do i keep the vinyl straight. Or do i need to purchase the stand. I have a week to figure this out and could truly use the help.

Like I said, i print out little cute quote for people and i have been doing extremely well with it, but it wasn't really a problem until i started working on the really big stuff..

Misti

the longer cuts with a pcut can be a pain. it takes a lot of tweaking of the vinyl to get it alligned well.

what I've done to help me is I took a silver marker and a straight edge and marked alignment marks on the front and back of the cutter for 15" & 24" vinyl. When I'm doing a long stretch I manually pull over half of the distance through, line it up with the line front and back. then lock down my rollers. I then use the machine to feed more vinyl forward then backward and make sure it stays on the line. once in a while it takes a little side to side adjustments but that helps me get to within 1/8" on a 10' run at the worst.

I used a plastic license plate blank as my straight edge since its flexible to contour to the curve of the machine and a even width. sideways for the 24" rolls and lenght ways for my 15" rolls. It puts my material in the middle of the machine and keeps me away from the kill switches

Thanks so much for all the info...I have a friend who is coming over tomorrow to help me out and he's a pro at this stuff.. But you guys have always been so helpful. I really appreciate your help! I will try that..

Have a great weekend.

MJ

some people have used a bit of vinyl or painters tape on the front and back to make a straight line on the back and the front of the cutter once they get one loaded correctly to help next time.  It helps to pre load the length of vinyl thru the cutter to ensure it is going to feed correctly for the length of the cut

Check that your vinyl holders (or what ever they are called in English) are aligned with the back friction material on the rolling axle. If they are not, the longitudinal rolling will slip on some parts thus twisting your vinyl.

In other words, the black rubber roll should press the vinyl where there is black rubber like stuff on the axle.

Hope you can understand what I mean :rolleyes:

M