Sign in to follow this  
seretni

Sandblasting Questions

Hello everyone, i have seen lots of sandblasted stuff in this forum and it looks totally aweasome  ;D

I would like to introduce to this new type of art, but first i would like to know if you need any special equipment.

I dedicate to airbrushing myself so i have a compressor and now how things work fairly well among airbrushes, guns...

-do you need a special place to sandblast things?

-Do you need any consumibles (aka paint in painting, ink in printing ;D)

-What types of materials can you sandblast, just glass?? or you can sandblast metals also?. Because i wouod be very interested in sandblasting zippos and similar stuff.

Thank you everyone

Guest debogus

" dedicate to airbrushing myself so i have a compressor and now how things work fairly well among airbrushes, guns...

-do you need a special place to sandblast things?

-Do you need any consumibles (aka paint in painting, ink in printing )

-What types of materials can you sandblast, just glass?? or you can sandblast metals also?. Because i wouod be very interested in sandblasting zippos and similar stuff."

Compressor the bigger the better

A real good water trap, a air dryer is better

Its better to have a sand blasting cabinet with a good filter(shop vac will get you by to start)

Can sand carve almost anything

Your grit can be reused in a cabinet.

On stuff like glass or where your not trying to go deep you can use cheap calender vinyl

A pressure pot is the way to go ,as for most decorative uses your not using much  over 40 bs of air and a tip smaller than 1/8"

A siphon gun you just dont have the control.

Tank you a lot , everything i wanted to know ;D

And what about the gun? I have seen a Paasche one for a good price that looks pretty similar to one of my Airbrushes, the paasche vl everything red. Excet for the weird cup that looks ULTRA-reinforeced ;D

So except for the compressor/Hoses, aprox. how much would i have to invest in order to start sandblasting, without taking in account a cabinet that i can make myself?.

Thank you

I am getting into blasting myself too. I ordered a large compressor for $200 from harbor freight and a blasting cabinet for $130 from them. The cabinet has the hopper and gun already. All I need now is media. A lot of people recommend Black Beauty & Walnut shells.

cool, the only thing by the way the only thing i dont need is the cabinet and compressor  ;D

please dont hestiate to post pics when they arrive ;D

Those siphon guns that come in the cabinets aren't the best, they dont deliver a consistant flow of sand, your best bet would be to somehow feed the hose from a pressure pot INTO the cabinet, that way you can contain your sand and get a consistant smooth flow of sand.

As far as what you can blast.....ANYTHING that can be scratched can be carved. Also for a ton of info check out www.cuttingedgesandcarving.com forum. And the folks there are very helpful with answering questions.

"pressure pot" sounds as an expensive word to me ;D

I dont want to make this for a living just to mess a bit around with things ;D.

Also thanks for the page helpinghand ;D

Yea for now im just doing the cabinet. Within the next month or 2 I am going to get the pressure pot to attach to the cabinet. It has a hole for a dust collector I can run it through there.

Sereti, you are talking about a Pasche air eraser, good tool, I do alot with mine. It can run with a small compressor, but not a little AB compressor.

As far as what you can blast.....ANYTHING that can be scratched can be carved. Also for a ton of info check out www.cuttingedgesandcarving.com forum. And the folks there are very helpful with answering questions.

if you are interested in getting started in sandblasting definitely go check out cutting edge.  those guys are a tremendous wealth of knowledge that they are more than willing to share.  pick up a big compressor and its nice to have a cabinet and pressure pot, both of which can be picked up fairly cheap from Harbor Freight.  As for media, you will want to use either silicone carbide or aluminum oxide and most work with a 180 to 220 grit