Sign in to follow this  
Z

Cutter head "bumps" the wall . . . ?

I originally posted the following in two different topics and got about 75 looks, but no advice or comments. Could someone from US Cutter please post suggestions or advice that would be helpful here? Thanks.

"Anyone have a better way to cut this than my failed approach? I  have a Refine MH365 and I haven't learned how to tile this so that my cutter will cut this. I know it is kinda big for the machine, but I am hoping one of you more experienced people will look at this and decide it is just something simple and help me. The problem I keep running into is that when I try to cut the image in tiles, SBE tells me the size of the tiles will be 36.98 x 10.98. My little cutter will, in theory cut 11" wide, but when I try to cut this image my cutter head "bumps" into the far wall and then everything gets cut crooked afterward. I am not good enough to break this image down into sizes that will cut right. This is for a 30" x 40" sign and I am running out time for doing the installation (not to mention vinyl!). I would really appreciate any ideas/solutions that any of you might have. Thanks.

Z"

Vinyl cutter model: Refine MH365.

Date purchased: Can't recall.

Connection method: USB.

Software: SBE.

Operating system: Windows XP Home Edition.

Material: Oracal 651, but does the same for all materials.

I don't know anything about SBE, but  does it have a place to change the material/vinyl width on the software? So that your actual layout is 10" wide.  Not knowing whether your overlapping or not,,  but if you change the vinyl width to 10" you would have (3) tiles of 10" x 40"   

It sounds like you still don't have enough space and that is why it is bumping into the wall. Go into the Setup screen in SignBlazer Elements and change the vinyl width to 10". Let us know how it goes.

Speedoggy,

It's in the machine I feel pretty sure. The head bumps the wall on the far side when I try to cut a graphic larger than it's 11" width capacity. The graphic is larger than 10" and SBE tries to tile it into three pieces, but the machine still bumps the wall. I re-read the manual that came with the machine. Under the section titled "LOADING PAPER" it says:

"Note: It is important that you do not move the carriage in the front of the plotter by hand."

I don't think that I ever have, but I am wondering if I may have at some point inadvertently maybe? How would I know? Is there a way to check if this might be my problem? I have an irritated customer who has been waiting on a graphic I haven't been able to deliver because I can't seem to get a solution with this problem. I may have to ask someone here on the forum to make the graphic for me and pay them for their service. I don't have a problem with that, but even so I still need to get this problem resolved. Anyone who might have thoughts about this please feel free to post any suggestions as I am at a loss as to how to resolve this. Thanks.

Z

It sounds like you still don't have enough space and that is why it is bumping into the wall. Go into the Setup screen in SignBlazer Elements and change the vinyl width to 10". Let us know how it goes.

Levi,

I will try that now & will let you know in a bit. Thanks for offering your help.

Z

Levi,

I will try that now & will let you know in a bit. Thanks for offering your help.

Z

Levi,

I tried to make the cut again. Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, but it still bumps the wall and makes a sound like "gears stripping" for just a second when it hits the wall. Where/how specifically do I make the change you are talking about? In the workspace set up?

Z

Levi,

I finally figured out what you meant about setting the vinyl size to 10". I did that and was almost 1" away from the wall when I cut. I tweaked it in after that to 10.75" and am able to cut almost to the wall without hitting it. Problem solved and MANY THANKS to you, Sir! ;):);):):thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Z

As far as I know, the maximum cutting width on the 12" model is listed at 275mm, which roughly equals 10.826 inches. Anything over that is going to be too big for that little machine.

As far as I know, the maximum cutting width on the 12" model is listed at 275mm, which roughly equals 10.826 inches. Anything over that is going to be too big for that little machine.

Caleb,

Thanks for clarifying just what my model should actually cut. I am not sure where I read that it was capable of 11", but I am pretty sure I read that somewhere. No matter, I have gotten the solution I needed and have set my machine to 10.75" (as stated previously) and am content with that. The support I have had in this forum has been nothing short of great.  ;D ;D ;D Hopefully I won't run into anything too bad that I can't ask for a solution and get help. Thanks again!

Z