Sign in to follow this  
KE5AFU

Need help on large printing job

I have a client who is wanting this pattern replicated on 2'X4' pieces of vinyl to be applied to ceiling tiles.

I will need about 60 of them. Any suggestions on what to do or is this even feasible?

The artwork is from Morocco and hand carved and then painted.

imag0043w.th.jpg

Thanks in advance

Have them printed on vinyl if anything..  However, I can't imagine the vinyl sticking to ceiling tiles, you might thinking about using expanded PVC panels or something similar to apply it to, rather than acoustic tiles (assuming this is for a drop celiing).  Doing this with cut vinyl, especially 60 of them is insanity.

Then there is the problem of getting the design into software to get printed..  A graphics shop nearby with a large-format scanner would be the best option.  Other than that, you could try taking several close high-res photographs and tiling them together in software.

Either way, $$$$$.

Sure it's possible but I'm not sure vinyl is the way to go with it. Were you planning on using an adhesive print vinyl? I do not think the vinyl would stick real well to the ceiling tiles, at least long term. I would suggest having them try printing by flatbed printer directly onto the tiles or printing onto another substrate like a foamcore and then placing them in the ceiling tiles frames.

What might be cool also is to have them printed onto a canvas or fabric and them stretched to go around the ceiling tile or other substrate. Use a thin banner tape to prevent it from sagging. Also either way it is done, make sure it gets a matte finish laminate to protect them (use liquid laminate on the fabric or canvas).

With the detail of the original, I would definitely get a full size scan done or photo'ed by a professional photographer with a quality hi res camera with scan back on it, either way by someone who professionally does artwork reproduction.

If you are actually looking for someone to do these, we can talk. Send me a message

I looked at that image saw the same thing you did Mid $$$$$

Here's the path.From doing it in cut vinyl.

Customer----->>> $$$$$ Coming in-----> Me Yeah yeah!!!!!  ;D

$$$$$ goin out ---->>>>>Chiropractor to fix Back ache and cramps in fingers.  ;D

$$$$$$Going out----->> Eye Doctor -- eyes straitened out after staring at that image for 3 weeks straight   ;D

$$$$$------> body Shop to fix car from wreck trying to drive to Chiropractors while Slumped over in the seat half blind.  B)

Same as anything, it CAN be done...but are they willing to pay for it.  I would bet, no.  I would charge at least $100 per panel=$6000, and that would be a good price, and would pay for the hassle..

You would be completely out of your mind to do it in cut vinyl... I cant even imagine how you would layer all the different colors accurately.

Thanks all for the reply, I guess I didn't make it clear. This will have to be printed yes, I am not going to try and replicate this with cut vinyl, but I don't have a wide format printer either.

What if it were printed on matte paper and use 3M spray adhesive to attach to the ceiling tiles?

It would look good for about 2 months, and then it would get dirty and the customer would want you to replace it, for free.

If you supplied the artwork I can print it for you. I can also laminate it so you dont have to worry about that. As far as the vinyl sticking to it, try and take some oracal 651 or something and try a piece.

If you are interested just give me a shout or call me at 614-588-3054

I would not try to use any adhesive on these if you are going to apply it to the ceiling tiles. Best bet like I mentioned earlier is to apply any adhesive material to another substrate like foamcore (actually gator board would be better since the foamcore might eventually sag). If you try to apply adhesive vinyl to the ceiling tiles IT WILL FAIL. If the client is willing to spend the money to do this job, spending a little more to do it right should not be problem. It might look great for 6 months to a year but if he is spending the money needed to produce this, he is not going to be happy if it only last a year or even two. Talk him into doing something that will last and that he can really be proud of. If is done and it fails it will only make you look bad.

I would not reject the idea of using a canvas or fabric. In addition to looking more natural than vinyl it will also help with soundproofing. There are even adhesive fabrics that are used as wallpaper with assortments of textured surfaces. Again I would not apply it to the ceiling tile though. I use fabrics and canvas a lot and have never had a client disappointed with it. I have a couple artist and photographer clients that send me a lot of work to do, all for pieces that are on display for art shows, restaurants, bars, and the like. That is not a lot different than what you are trying to do here. The fabrics and canvas are more expensive than the vinyl but I guarantee the client will be much happier with it.

I'd be happy to work you up a price to do it for you so you can make a decent profit also.