new2this

skateboard grip tape

Do you think these cutters will cut slateboard grip tape? has anyone done it? Its the big thing to have a design cut out of your tape so the board shows through

You could flip it over so the sticky paper part is showing, and using the pen on your cutter, draw out a design you wish to cut (IN MIRROR!) then use a knife to cut it out.  Or alternativly, use a blade you don't care about and just cut through a little bit - not all the way.  Finish it off with a knife.

Actually, I believe it would.

I had a younger bro that skated. And I've seen the stuff they use. Basically Its like sandpaper with a adhesive backing glue. just like Vinyl.

Now when I say "like" sandpaper.. I literally mean Sandpaper. Its pretty thick stuff.

And it would dull your blade in short time! Likely after the first cut.

I'd also avoid letting the grit falling off the grip once its running back and forth through the rollers from falling into your machine!!!!!

The Exacto knife sounds like a good idea me thinks.

Get a big sheet of griptape, apply the entire sheet on the board, then use a utility knife at an angle to quickly cut around the edge... this is how we used to do it back in the day.

We cut grit tape where I work. Not on a pcut though. We use a flatbed machine with an exacto knife. I am amazed how long a blade will last. We have experimented with a vinyl cutter but the blades don't last long and I would not reccomend it because of the grit falling into the workings of the cutter.

Cut out designs on vinyl. Apply vinyl to grip tape. Cut around vinyl with razor blade. Apply grip tape.

Never done this before with grip tape, just an idea.

Bumping this back up...Been toying with the idea and came across this in a search...

After reading through, here's my idea!

Apply vinyl over the grit side. Run it though the cutter upside down and cut in mirror...The vinyl over the grit will keep it together so it doesn't break up and get into the machine. And with the backing cut, the rest should punch out with at little help.

What do you think? I am a little afraid to try it...

I have cut grip tape with a regular razor blade . It pretty much destroys the blade from any usefulness after 1 cut.There is no way I would run it through my machine at all.  Then the grit would be murder an any moving part it touches.

I certainly wouldn't recommend cutting griptape with your cutter. I skated and competed for almost 15yrs and been in the sport for 20. I have covered literaly hundreds and hundreds of boards and can tell you that I used one blade per board. Griptape is adhesive backed sandpaper. One cut WILL destroy the blade. Its a pain but you have to go old skool on this one. You could plot it on paper then transfer the design and cut it by hand. Just my 2cents.

I second that My Brother in law builds boards and He/we cut the grip tape old skool every time one blade one board.

Have fun

Keith

I'll use what little better judgment I have left to NOT try this...Thanks for the added input!