EHovind

Need some pretty basic pricing advice please

I've got someone wanting about 100 6"x2.5" decals, 40 letters each, so a decent amount of weeding... My vinyl + transfer tape cost would be about $6.25 for the job. I'm really new to the trade, so I'm not quite sure how much time it would take to weed all of these, and am not sure what a justified price would be.

Can anyone give me some input?

Thanks!

Very time consuming for 100 of those tiney letters..  That's a good project to make a deal with a local vinyl printer.   He should give you a discount if you are going to bring him some repeat business that he would not normally get.  You will always get some work that you can not do and you don't want to just refer the customer out (to never be seen again).   So, you only make a little on this job, next one will be better and you are serving your customer and building a relationship with another sign maker.

I'd charge $40-$45 per hour to actually do the work and then estimate the hours. 

my 2 C's

I'm ignorant about vynil decals and I want to learn and I would like to ask, if it is timing consuming for you, it is time consuming for the sign shop. Then the question is that the shop "can't" say no to that job?

Maybe  EHovind can put weeding all the family or friends for this time and share some benefits :)

I'm ignorant about vynil decals and I want to learn and I would like to ask, if it is timing consuming for you, it is time consuming for the sign shop. Then the question is that the shop "can't" say no to that job?

Maybe  EHovind can put weeding all the family or friends for this time and share some benefits :)

It is not time consuming to print the decals (as opposed to cut & weed 100 very small decals).  One or five tiney decals is one thing but, 100??   Give the printer the file ready to print and it will save him time and add value to what you charge.

Regis

It is not time consuming to print the decals (as opposed to cut & weed 100 very small decals).  One or five tiney decals is one thing but, 100??   Give the printer the file ready to print and it will save him time and add value to what you charge.

Regis

Now I undertand what you mean :)

I'd do them between $2.75 - 3.50 a piece, depending on a few factors, are they a repeat customer, will they be a repeat customer and last but not least the most important, ATTITUDE,lol I turn nothing down, I am a money hungry S.O.B, but if that is to cheap for you for all that weeding add some extra in there for the time, but one way or another make them think your cutting them a discount on something that is that time consuming.

He's my mechanic, and these stickers would be to advertise his shop, and when I ran the idea past him I told him the price would likely be $3 a pop, maybe a bit less. He immediately tried to talk me down to $1 and I told him that there's no way I would be able to do it for that.

Just wanted to verify that I wasn't being unreasonable by guestimating around $3.

This would be my first job... but yeah, I might just outsource this one haha

He's somewhat of a friend, I think he would help me out a bit with something if I really needed the help, but I also have spent probably $5,000 with him in the past 6 months. He charges me normal price for everything unless he misquotes me, so I have every intention of doing the same.

And if I do end up outsourcing them, I'll give ya a holler. He and I are supposed to be getting together about it in the near future.

If thats the case, full price, no questions asked, he should not even try to get you to go down.

I don't want this to come out the wrong way, but he is Jewish and acts every bit of it  :- lol

Great guy, just a bit too money hungry :)

If they charge you full price for everything, then I would not go out of my way to charge them less...unless I really believed it will benefit my business going forward.

Since I'm new to this having Vinyl Printed would mean digital media, vinyl, printed on a wide format inkjet or are we talking about offset press?