BlackMesa

And So Much For Advertising

;D

I placed an add on a local dirt track website.  Didn't expect many hits as it's late in the season, but I figured I might as well throw the bait in the water and maybe someone would keep me in mind for next season.

Tonight, I get a hit.  Wants the car totally redone in time for two upcoming races.  Even was nice enough to give me what colors he wanted, but I would still have to make a trip so I can get pics and measurements.  Then I decide I might want to look at the race schedule to see what kind of time frame I might have.  As I'm probably like most everyone else around here, I have a full time job and I'm on call 24/7 when I'm around.  I rarely get called out, but I have to keep that in the back of my mind.  I was thinking I might get lucky because I'm actually only working 4 days in the next two weeks.

I find the race schedule and the first race is Saturday night.  That would mean I would have to do get pics and measurements tomorrow, order vinyl tomorrow and hope it gets here on Friday.  Even though I've had great service out of Sign Warehouse and Fellers and get next day delivery for regular shipping, there's always that possibility.  I would then spend Friday cutting, then doing two layer decals and then haul butt on Saturday or late Friday night to get the job done.  On top of that, I go back to work Saturday night and hope I don't get called out.  So if everything actually went perfect (but Mr. Murphy likes me :)) I could actually pull it off.  Of course, with such short notice, I would imagine the price tag would be hefty to the point that I couldn't seal the deal.

So I'll be a nice guy and call him in the morning and inform him that I'll have to turn him down because of the time frame issue.

What you might think about asking him is if he would be able to wait and let you do it after this race and before the next race. I never hurts to ask, as the worst thing that he could tell you is no. So take a chance and see what happens.

Geez yeah, I wouldn't let it pass that easily.

Its all more then likely he'll wait for you. Not all customers would expect you to drop everything at there bec-and call just for them.

As said he can only say "no"!

Good news.  The first race isn't until next weekend and since I'm only working this weekend and have the next four days off, this shouldn't be too much of a pain except it's a two layer job.

Now it's off to start crunching some numbers so I can give this guy a quote while I'm on site. :thumbsup:

Well, I'm not in the clear yet.  Having spent time pitting for various different teams and dabbling in racing my self, the one I know about racers is that if any money is coming out of their pocket and they're not independently wealthy, they are tightwads with the pocket book :thumbsup:

I'll be checking out the car on Saturday, getting measurements and then we will go through the choices.  He has already given me the colors, so I'll line up some different vinyls and try to get the guy the cheapest price I can while still being able to make a buck or two.  At this point, I would like to offer up a partial sponsorship if not a full on deal with free graphics, but daddy has a fishing trip to pay for. ;)

At this point, I would like to offer up a partial sponsorship if not a full on deal with free graphics, but daddy has a fishing trip to pay for. ;)

Do you mind if I ask what and how this deal would be layed out?

I'm guessing you'd lay the Graphics when and if he needs them due to wear and tear of the sport. With your Name/ business name as being the predominant name seen on the car. And you'd do this at your cost yeah?

Its interesting as where I now live, There is a speedway (clay/dirt track) that holds a lot of meetings in driving distance from my house. And I now the sprintcar guys use Vinyl. But was unsure if many of the other classes use it for there graphics or not?

And your not to worry,, I live on the opposite side of the world.. No competition hear :thumbsup:

At this point, I would like to offer up a partial sponsorship if not a full on deal with free graphics, but daddy has a fishing trip to pay for. ;)

Do you mind if I ask what and how this deal would be layed out?

I'm guessing you'd lay the Graphics when and if he needs them due to wear and tear of the sport. With your Name/ business name as being the predominant name seen on the car. And you'd do this at your cost yeah?

Its interesting as where I now live, There is a speedway (clay/dirt track) that holds a lot of meetings in driving distance from my house. And I now the sprintcar guys use Vinyl. But was unsure if many of the other classes use it for there graphics or not?

And your not to worry,, I live on the opposite side of the world.. No competition hear :thumbsup:

Right now, I don't have anything set in stone; but this would be about the way I would do it.  I guess I should read up on the sponsor contracts that I have from the two companies that I got sponsors from.

-Graphics will be priced at my cost.  I'm actually going to target the lower classes with this proposal. 

-Sponsor logo placement will be on each side of the car and one decal on the rear.

-This deal is for two complete sets of graphics during the race season, replacement graphics outside of the two complete sets will be negotiated.

That's the basic idea that I have and it's open to change since the classes I'm going to be looking at usually run races that resemble a demolition derby.  There's more thought that I need to put into it, but in the end, I'm going to be open to things such as a replacement number here and there. 

Glad to here you got a hit on your ad. Race cars ar good and bad. Guaranteed work but always at the last minute. Can't count how many nights spent cutting new panels from previous weeks havoc. Have fun!!!

Never did hear back from the guy, so I guess he wasn't interested or trying to dig some cash up to at least get something done by this weekend.  Funny thing is once I sat down and started figuring things out, I was going to lose money on the deal as I lowballed the offer pretty bad.  Oh well, I guess if he calls in a day or two, it might be tough since vinyl has to be ordered and I've made plans for my days off.

So I'm still trying to figure this out.  Is this a hobby that I'm running as a business or a business that I'm running as a hobby?  I don't know yet, just as long it helps pay for the other hobbies that I have :huh: