Sign in to follow this  
castironrobbie

Is it just the wall?

I am having extreme troubles with applying to walls. I just made the attached and tried to apply it to my wall just as a practice and it peeled right off with the tape.

I am using the Oracal 631 and HT55 tape. I go over the tape a ton to make sure I have all the air bubbles out, but is there a such thing as too much? Really getting frustrated. Since I got into vinyl it's really not been my thing.

post-95618-0-11423300-1445996528_thumb.j

If it is a rough surface it can be hard to get it to adhere.  If the paint has Teflon, stain guard, or other anti-stain formulation, it can also be hard.

The walls in my work space are painted plywood.  They are a pure bear to practice on.  I have to use low tact tape that barely lifts the vinyl.  I have to squeegee, tennis ball, and peel inch by inch.

You need to peel the application tape off at 180° angle. You will be peeling it back onto itself. To clarify the nonsticky side will be touching the nonsticky side as you peel. If you pull it outward the hightack tape can pull up the lowtack 631 vinyl.

If you still have problems then it could be the paint or surface prep. I recommend cleaning the wall with a soft dry cloth first. You just need to remove dirt and oils. If the walls are sticky you probably have cigarette smoke buildup and will need to use an appropriate cleaner and allow to dry throughly. Don't install on freshly painted surfaces.

• Like 1

I know how you feel when I first tried one it was the same , like previous have said could be the surface, go slow and keep trying I'm sure you will get there in the end. Good Luck!