Sign in to follow this  
integerspin

newbie: alignment of multi cut masks?

I bought a cutter as I needed to cut masks for repainting the lettering and graphics on several of my  push bikes.

After some initial difficulties with the cutter it's working OK. I haven't bothered cutting and applying any of the things I have cut yet, if you discount me covering the bezel of my monitor in my test bit's.

I just tried applying a mask to a tube, it's the lettering "PRO-PULSE STAYS". The text is black letters on a white outline back ground. I put a small circle at each end for alignment.

I was intending on:

1) Paint the area the lettering is on black.

2) Apply the lettering mask.

3) Paint the area surrounding the mask white.

4) Apply the outline mask.

So now I have the letting and outline painted and masked, I can paint the tube the final colour and when I remove the

masking  I am done. I prefer to paint with a positive mask, covering black with white isn't a problem with basecoat.

Problem I hadn't though about is the application tape is opaque, I just tried cutting the circles out of the application tape,

by hand, not perfect but it did work, my hands aren't steady enough for cutting small masks that's why I bought the cutter.

the lettering mask and outline mask I just put on look ok, but when they are painted your eyes are going to be drawn to them if they are off at all.

Any ideas on how to do it?

I am just about to see if I can use some ancient frisk masking film as application tape!